Reload this Page >

SPAIN FOR 10 DAYS--PLEASE COMMENT ON MY ITINERARY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Harvey

I am planning a trip to Spain for 10 days this fall and would like comments and suggestions on my itinery. The excuse for the trip is to visit our son who will be in school in Seville and we only have 10 or so days. I would also like to hear any comments on transportation options. We are thinking of leaving Thursday 11/7<BR><BR>Day 1 and 2- Fly to Madrid. Taxi to trainstation. AVE to Seville. Rest up and walk around.<BR>Days 3 and 4 See Seville attractions and visit the kid.<BR>Day 5-Train to Granada See the secondary attractions and see the Alhambra on day 6.<BR>Day 7-Train(s) to Madrid and then directly to Toledo. Day 8 in Toledo.<BR>Days 9,10, and 11 in Madrid. Fly back. I may be able to find one more day.<BR><BR>We don't like to cram in too much sightseeing in a day and like to wander around interesting places and rest up in cafes etc. and soak up the ambience.<BR><BR>Any suggestions appreciated.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Julie

I'd cut the time in Madrid and spend more in Seville, which of the two cities is the nicest. (Unless of course you think your son would think you were overstaying your time there.)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Art

There are some nice day trips out of Madrid. One day trip could be to Avilla and Segovia. Avilla is a completely walled in city that was never breached. Segovia has a 2000 year old Roman aqueduct still in use. Another side trip could be to El Escoral. Take the hop-on-hop-off bus through Madrid. You get to see quite a bit of the city and can jump off of the bus if you find something interesting to spend more time at. You can get an 24 or 48 ticket.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Janet

Harvey - My daughter was studying in Seville last term and we spent about 8 days in Spain. Why don't you just fly into Seville instead of Madrid and then taking the AVE? We went beginning of April - We did 2 days in Marbella, a side trip to Ronda, 2 days in Granada, 3 days in Seville, took the AVE to Madrid stayed one day there. If I had to do it again or could add to it, I would stay another day in Seville and add on Toledo. There is so much to see in Seville. And my daughter had so many of her favorite places to show me.<BR>Hope your son enjoys his term in Seville as much as my daughter did. What a wonderful experience.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Harvey

Thank you all for your comments. It probably is a good idea to cut a day from Madrid and add it to Seville and I have been checking on open-jaw flights.<BR><BR>Any more suggestions? All appreciated!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Chryso

Hello<BR>I agree with the previous posters. Spent 4 days in Seville, 3 in Marbella and 2 in Madrid on my honeymoon in September, 2000. Took the AVE from Madrid to Seville--really great ride--smooth, clean, wonderful, but it would make more sense to take a flight directly to Seville. I would add more days to Seville or take a trip south. While I was glad I saw Madrid, I honestly needed ONE day there.We went to the Prado and saw some other sites...other than that, it was just a big city and at night, I didn't feel too safe, especially when we accidentally walked into the "red light" district.<BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Julia

When you go to see the Alhambra in Granada be prepared to wait a long time in line - its best to go as early because its possible for tickets to actually sell out around noon for morning admission times. After waiting in line for 2 hours I was given an admission time for an hour later...and since the grounds are so expansive you'll want as much time as possible to explore. Well worth the wait though - the palace and grounds are exceptionally beautiful. 2 days in Granada will be fine.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Paula

You can get tickets for Alhambra in advance on the Internet. Would highly recommend it as when we were there, not only were the lines enormous, but many people didn't get in.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Tina

I was in Spain for 9 days last year and I flew into Madrid and took the AVE myself. I don't recommend flying directly in to Seville because it is much more expensive to do that. Besides, taking the AVE is an experience in itself to see parts of the countryside that you wouldn't normally get to see. If you can, ride in the preferiente or club class, the difference is remarkable from the turista class. <BR><BR>I do agree that Seville is better than Madrid, although I think you would be remiss to go to Spain and not at least explore some of Madrid. Truly it is Spain's NYC, with all of the same advantages and disadvantages. Seville is more "ambience" if that's what you're seeking. You will see the run-of-the-mill Spaniard in their element. Madrid is so fast-paced, you probably won't have the opportunity to really "experience" a Spaniard's day. I would skip Granada because the only thing there is the Alhambra, in my opinion. Instead of going there, I would go to Jerez de la Frontera. Tour the sherry bodegas. It was much more interesting to be. Besides, you'll probably get your fill of palaces and cathedrals in Seville (i.e. la Giralda, el Alcazar).

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Harvey

Tina thanks for the reply. I have been thinking the very thing--skip Granada. The main thing I was planning to see there is the Alhambra. How great is it? After I have seen the Moorish castle in Seville do I need to see another? Thanks Tina and everyone else for the suggestions. BTW most of the open jaw flights cost about $100 over the Madrid roundtrip if you eleiminate the three stop cheap flights. The train is about 62 plus reservations I think are $9 and then there is cab fare from the Airport to the train station. Ofcourse when planning a short trip one always has to assume that like Neville they'll be back.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:21 PM
McH

Harvey,<BR><BR>I would spend 2 or 3 days in Madrid (including 1 day in Toledo or Segovia) and spend the rest of the trip exploring Andalucia. There are so many great places in the south of Spain, that I would rather concentrate in this part of the country, which in my opinion is fantastic.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:17 AM
xxx

We did almost the identical trip. Agree on cutting Madrid and adding to Seville. Loved Toledo and also loved Segovia (aqueducts and La Granja outside of town).<BR><BR>You're probably anxious to see the kid, but my only thought is put Madrid portion at the front end so when you land you're not doing more traveling. Not a big deal as we just landed in Rome and immediately took the train to Florence, just a thought. <BR><BR>Have a great time and be sure and eat at the Parador in Granada and have dinner in the courtyard of the Alfonso XIII in Seville (we stayed there and it was great). There was also a great place for paella recommended by the concierge in Seville.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Andrew

Plan sounds pretty good.<BR><BR>I would consider dropping Toledo and instead spending an extra night in Sevilla area spending the spare day on a day trip to Cadiz or El Puerto de Santa Maria (easy by train). Some of Spain's nicest cities, lots of palms and sea views, warmer than Toledo at that time of year too

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:27 AM
John Beale

On your first trip a couple of days in Madrid, a couple in Seville, a day each in Toledo, Granada, Cordoba, Salamanca and Segovia. If you've more time add three days in Barcelona, and a day each in Burgos, Leon and Santiago da Compostela. But that's a lot of travelling about - I reckon Spain's worth more than one trip!