Spain During Holy Week

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain During Holy Week

Hi--

We realized that we will be traveling in Spain during Holy Week, the week before Easter.
Would you recommend booking trains, etc in advnace? Will the AVE train be busy?
Is there anything else we should know? Do certain stores and/or attractions close or have special hours?
Should we just anticipate it being really busy?
Any help would be great.
Thank you!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:34 AM

It'd be wise to book in advance.
What part of Spain you are travelling to?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM

agree w/Josele-- off the bat it is all dependent of where are you planning to travel. The activities surrounding Holy Week in Southern Spain are not only popular in Spain, but worldwide. Hence, parts of Andalucia will be packed. Definitely, reserve the AVE train if you have specific dates. Most hotels in Seville and parts of Andalucia are probably booked by now. I was in Madrid on Holy Week 2001 and Madrid was very busy, nothing closed during the week, but do anticipate some stores closing on the Friday (Viernes Santo).
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I third that! Anything that you can pre-book/pre-pay will be worth it. Holy Week is a big deal in Spain, so you can expect it to be busy! Many workers in Spain have that week off (or at least the Friday). Not sure if you are from the US but I would compare it to Americans "flocking" to grandma's during Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Last year, we could not find a hotel in Sevilla during semana santa, so we ended in Carmona and loved it there. The parador was also booked out, but the Alcazar de la Reina was a gem of a hotel! And the procession was sooo atmospheric in Carmona, which is much less touristic than Sevilla.

But anyway, you are already late - book as fast as possible!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM

My Dh and I will be based in Madrid, April 1 to April 12, during Semana Santa. We have AVE tickets booked to Seville for April 5-7 (Good Friday) Any suggestions on where to be in Seville for best views of processions? Any websites on where they start, the routes, etc? What town would be best to be at for Easter Sunday? Does everything shut down for Easter in Spain?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM

We were in Seville for Semana Santa--didn't even know we were going to be until we tried to get train reservations--what a mess. Had to change our entire itinerary because we couldn't get the train reservations we needed. Yes--get you reservations ASAP!

As for the best views--anywhere near the cathedral and the main street leading up to it will give you top views (unless you can get on a nearby rooftop). I was amazed how the procession seemed to go on for HOURS!

I don't recall having any problem finding a place for dinner that night--afterall, the "tourists" have to eat too, right?

We saw a flamenco show at Los Gallos that I liked even better than the parades, but that's just me.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:07 PM

For hours ? The processions going on Thursday night finish Holy Friday at midday Anywhere near the Cathedral is OK ..but if you are not there hours before it's difficult to get there..people pays the Town Hall for a place (with a seat) to see the processions so there's not a lot left to see it for free (standing).
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Artlover: Yes, we booked our AVE seats online, very fast and easy. Do you remember where you ate in Madrid afterwards? It will be crowded so out of the Madrid center recommendations would be appreciated.

Kenderina: You wrote <<people pay the Town Hall for a place (with a seat) to see the processions>> Could you explain this. Do you know how would someone would go about getting a seat in the Town Hall or any rooftop?

I'm not good at standing for hours and hours. I'd sure be willing to pay for any seating!

Abs4478: What city(s) will you be in during Holy Week?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I will also be in Seville that week visiting my daughter who is in school there for the semester. Do we need to worry about dinner reservations at restaurants?
If we want to go to nearby cities for a day tour, should we book that in advance as well?
Also, does anyone know if we will be able to go sightseeing or if places will be closed?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Like abs4478 I am concerned about travelling during Holy Week. We are driving to Cordoba on Good Friday and staying near the Mezquita. Will there be a procession there and should we plan on arriving early so we can get to our hotel? I am a little worried about driving around the maze of streets even without a procession!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I'm sorry to say , Canders, that you can't find any place to seat...people asks for them just after Christmas and then , sometime in January they make a lottery (there are more people who asks than available chairs). But don't worry, ask your hotel for the extent of the procession you want to see and maybe there's some place where you can see it quickier which is not at the door of the Cathedral
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Dorianb, ask your hotel. Only they will able to tell you that.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Canders,
We were in Seville and I don't remember where we ate, but it was a "tourist" place--just so-so, so wouldn't be able to recommend it anyways. But maybe someone here can? Or your hotel can (though we got our recco from our hotel and were a bit disappointed. Food wasn't my favorite thing in Seville, but oh, what a magical city.)
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:44 AM

I found this website for Holy Week in Seville.

http://www.guiasemanasanta.com/sevilla/in/
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM

abs and cander: The following hotel is not only a great value place to stay in Seville in terms of location and cost, but the restaurant is very good as well:

http://www.hosteriadellaurel.com/