Search

Spain by Train

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain by Train

Starting in Madrid, I plan on taking the train to the cities of Toledo, Cordova, Seville, Granada and Valencia, before heading back to Madrid to fly home. Are there any other towns along that route would be considered must-sees?
Thanks,
vanessagillian
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM

How much time do you have? Your schedule looks pretty busy...
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM

If you are including Valencia best to fly on low cost airline from Sevilla/Malaga as the train from Granada is long and slow.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

I was planning on spending a month in Spain, from the middle of September onwards. Thanks for the tip on the Sevilla/Malaga flight. We did the same thing last fall -- flew from Berlin to Heidelberg, instead of taking the more-expensive! train.
Any tips or advice is much appreciated,
vanessagillian
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Is there a possibility you could get flights that would start your trip in Valencia and end in Sevilla or perhaps Malaga? This way you wouldn't have to go back and forth via Madrid.

On the high speed train line from Madrid to Valencia is Cuenca, a UNESCO world heritage city. I'd definately visit at least as a daytrip.

Toledo is full of Moorish history. Given you have 4 weeks for Spain (lucky you!) you may consider spending a couple of nights. I prefer a moderate to slow paced trip and can easily spend a couple of nights in Toledo and not be bored.

I'd also suggest a couple of nights in Cordoba versus visiting as a daytrip from Sevilla. The Mezquita is fascinating but there's much more to the city and unfortunately most people just don't have time in their itinerary's for more than a daytrip.

Sevilla & Granada would be on my must see list for your trip.

Jerez may be also of interest, not only for it's famous sherry but also the Moorish architecture. There's a wine harvest festival every year in mid-September that may coincide with your trip dates.

I'd also recommend renting a car for a portion of your trip to explore the White Villages. These are old villages, most on hilltops, that almost have a feel of Northern Africa. Ronda, Arcos, Vejer de la Frontera, Medina Sidonia, Zahara.....

Malaga city would be another good place to spend a few days. An hour away by bus is Antequera.

There are many more places I could recommend for Andalucia but I tried to focus on the ones with the Moorish influences.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Middle of Sept. Could be still rather hot in Andalusia and Madrid.
Since you have a good deal of time, if you have not already, you might consider
spending some time in the North or/ and Barcelona.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering about the weather during the time I was planning on going. Perhaps the month of October would be better. I've been to Barcelona three times, most recently, this September. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Spain. Do you thInk I'd have time for a couple of days at beach, considering the time I have?
Vanessagillian
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Mid Oct.
this year the temp. in Madrid was in the 80s and when I visited Siges from Barcelona, there were
people in the water.
Cannot say from experience, but chances of beach weather in the South in mid Sept
Seem pretty good according to the average temps.
We liked Malaga.... a lovely old town ANd a beach.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Don't mind the mid-80's, just walk on the shady side! We had an amazing day on the beach at Sitges this September--very easy to get to on the train from Barcelona. Have heard Malaga is a great place to visit--will definitely spend some time there.