Search

Spain: Brouhaha over Cordoba's "Mosque-Cathedral"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain: Brouhaha over Cordoba's "Mosque-Cathedral"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/wo...s-history.html

Interesting behind the scenes story of a controversy raging in Cordoba over the city's famous Cathedral...
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Saw that this morning in the NY Times; the funny thing was that I had just been looking at info about Cordoba for next spring's trip to Andalucia!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Well the 'mosque-cathedral' or in reality the cathedral is, along with Granada's Alhambra, two of the very top sights in Spain not just Andalusia - and Cordoba to me is a swell old town with lots of old abbeys, monasteries, churches, tiny whitewashed lanes, etc. I would not give Granada as a city those praises.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM

We visited the Mezquita just this morning, the Alhambra last week. I much prefer the atmosphere of Córdoba. It has kept its old charm (we were here 30 yrs ago).
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:43 AM

<i>The Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba, considered one of the world’s architectural wonders, is often portrayed as a symbol of coexistence between Muslims and Catholics.</i>

That's a new one on me - the cathedral was built once the Muslims were kicked out.

The brouhaha is, as so often these things are, nothing to do with religion but money
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:51 AM

It is also how the Spanish do not revere the Church as much as they used to. Atheism and secularism among the young is growing.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 12:08 PM

<i>a symbol of coexistence between Muslims and Catholics</I>

Only in the sense that the Church, when they regained the control of the building (remember, a Visigothic church was first constructed on the site before a mosque was built over it), they didn't destroy it but plonked a Renaissance cathedral right in the middle and generally preserved the rest of the building including the Mihrab.
Muslims aren't allowed to offer public prayers there, and any group attempting to do so will be promptly intercepted by the security guards and shooed out. In 2010 there was a violent incidence when Muslim visitors attempting to pray and security guards came to blows, ending in a court case in 2013. And famously Osama bin Laden declared that it was the duty of every Muslim to retake Al-Andalus for Islam.
Unsurprisingly the Church is standing firm and there is no sign of rapprochement, though one wonders there may be a way forward under the eirenical Pope Francis.
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/35...-muslim-prayer