Reload this Page >

Spain: Beauty Products/Pharmacies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Dee

Hello Ladies-- <BR> <BR>I'll be in Barcelona in July (1st trip) and everytime I go to a foreign city, I LOVE going to beauty shops, pharmacies, even supermarkets to pick up little soaps and shampoos and various other pampering knick-knacks... <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for Barcelona?? <BR> <BR>Thanks...dee

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:59 PM
NeuterGina

Sure! Absolutely do not miss El Loc.....well, scratch that suggestion. I hear there are thieves and violent gangs which hang around the entry there. <BR>But then there's Alle....naah. Nix that one, too. <BR>Now that I think about it, there isn't anyplace safe to shop in Barcelona. <BR>Why are you venturing into Barcelona, Dee? There are pickpockets and thugs by the gross. <BR>We hear no one comes back alive. <BR>If you go anyway can I take out some insurance on you?

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Dee

Now, now, NeuterGina, is that any way to respond?? <BR> <BR>Believe me, I've been reading ALL the posts about how dangerous Barcelona is...but I figure that if I can live safely in NYC (which I have for some time now), I think I'll be OK on this trip.. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your concern, though...

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Maribel

Dee, <BR>My favorite Spanish beauty products that I regularly bring home each year are Spain's wonderful, highly fragrant fine soaps and bath gels. The brands Magno/La Toja, very dark brown, almost black, "jabón de sales" (containing sea salt and minerals), from the island and spa resort (with therapeutic hot springs) of A Toxa in Galicia are particularly nice and long lasting. They make soaps, bath gels, shampoos. These products you'll find in the bathroom "goodie" basket in all the Paradors. Also the gift boxed Maja soaps by the Barcelona company, "Myrurgia" (which means "the art of making myrrh") contain olive oil and are big sellers. Look for the red and black wrapping that has a señorita (or a "maja") fanning herself. Another personal favorite are the Heno de Pravia soaps (mossy green in a yellow wrapper) and gels by Gal. I also love the cologne and perfume made by the prestigious Loewe leather firm (the Hermes or Gucci of Spain, now part of LVMH), such as "L", "Gala de Día, and the highly seductive "Gala de Noche". More popular priced colognes and bath gels not available in the U.S. include "Carmen" by the Seville fashion designers Victorio y Lucchino and "Duende" by Jesús del Pozo. I love the "Duende" and "Gala" moisturizing body lotions-they're fabulous! You can find these products at any "perfumería" in Barcelona and also in the huge "perfumería/droguería" section of one of the 3 enormous El Corte Inglés department stores (which also have great basement supermarkets), either at Placa de Catalunya, the upper Diagonal at Plc Francesc Macia or the newer branch further up the Diagonal at Plc Reina Cristina (metro: Maria Cristina) They are not sold in the traditional old-time "farmacias" (pharmacies) that only dispense medicine and pharmaceutical products. Also try "Regia" on Passeig de Gracia and "Anna de Lis" on Ramba de Catalunya for a nice selection of perfumes, creams and potions. <BR>As for beauty salons, in Madrid I use the salons of the Llongueras group. There should be several branches in Barcelona (it's a Catalan co.). I believe there's one on Balmes. Check www.llongueras.com for a complete lists. <BR>Hope this gives you some ideas. <BR>Maribel <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:12 PM
dee

Maribel...many, many thanks for your extensive response!! Can't wait to check it all out.. <BR> <BR>d.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Dee: <BR>I am so glad that Maribel gave you a great reponse. We were in Spain for a long time and I can't add anything to the great post. <BR>Unfortunately, you will get some really "off" responses from some posters! <BR>Have a great trip! BEAUTY RULES!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Maribel

Me again, Dee (and hi, Uptown Traveler-like your moniker!): <BR>Forgot to mention the multicolored, "tutti frutti" soap called Macedonia. Always bring several bars back-it lasts and lasts. And Elnet hair spray is the best!

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:08 PM
dee

Maribel & Oaktown... <BR> <BR>I love people who appreciate the IMPORTANT things This is the fun, girly stuff that only a fellow "beauty connoiseur" could appreciate. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your helpful responses, and if you ever need any Greece info, let me know. <BR> <BR>d.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 08:25 PM
doris

Does anyone know if Piz Buin suntan products are sold in Spain? thanks for any replies