Reload this Page >

Seniors need help with Italian Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Jean

Seniors in not the best of walking shape taking a 2 week trip getting train transfers between Rome Florence & Venice. Is any one familiar with the following Hotels in regard to their accomodations and their proximity to sights and restaurants: <BR>Rome Mascagni <BR> Quirinale <BR>Florence Brunelleschi <BR> Laurus <BR> Plazza Lucchesi <BR>Venice Gabrielle Sandwirth <BR> Cavalletto <BR> <BR>Also besides in town sightseeing can only choose one of these in Rome:Naples And Pompei OR Capri <BR> OR <BR>Assisi & Orvieto <BR> <BR>In Florence a choice of : <BR> Siena & San Gimignano <BR>OR Lucca and its Villas <BR> <BR>Any other suggestions for a day tour into the countryside? <BR> <BR>We are going the first two weeks in Oct. Thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions. Jean

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:39 AM
Santa Chiara

I can't help you on the hotels, but for planning purposes, Assisi and Orvieto will entail a lot of walking up steep hills. I just returned from Assisi, and although I am a runner, I am still a little stiff from the walking up and down the hills. I hate to discourage you because these are towns not to be missed, and I have certainly seen plenty of seniors walking around them. I am just advising you that these towns are built on steep hills and you have to do a lot of walking up and down. <BR> <BR>Siena is flatter, especially if you can be let off by taxi near the city center. San Gimignano you will have to get someone else's advice. I am not a fan, but I don't want to influence anyone just because of my own preferences. <BR> <BR>Touring the villas of Lucca may be less strenuous, but only you can judge your ability. <BR> <BR>Pompeii also requires walking, of course, but at least it's flat. I would choose Pompeii over Capri, especially if you are interested in history. <BR> <BR>Another option, if you are going by car is just to tour the countryside in Umbria and Tuscany; it will be beautiful at the time of year you are going. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Lucy

It can be quite an uphill hike to the center of Siena, depending on which parking lot you use. Only residents are allowed to park within the city walls. You can however, drive your car into town for a quick pickup or dropoff at a hotel, which I think is the case in most Tuscan towns. I love San Gimignano, but it also involves hills, as do much of Assisi and Orvieto. Alas, they're not kidding when they call these lovely places "hill towns"! I accompanied my mother, also not in the best of walking shape, to all of the above. We took it easy, rested frequently, called cabs when we needed to and tried to choose the flattest walking routes. She was frequently pooped, slept like a rock at night and had a great time. Interestingly, her leg problems -- sciatica, numbness from stroke, restless leg syndrome -- seemed to improve slightly during the trip. The exercise, perhaps? Or maybe she was just too exhausted to notice the aches! Pompeii is much flatter and a fascinating trip; can't say I'd recommend Naples unless you're used to making your way in a rather tough urban environment. Rome and Florence, of course, are wonderful... but I don't know any of the hotels you listed, so I can't help you there. I'm assuming they all have elevators. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:53 AM
Jen

My husband and I stayed in Florence at the Brunelleschi on our honeymoon almost 2 years ago. Great location for sightseeing and it's a very interesting place in it's own right - part old church, part ancient tower and other buildings all connected as one! It's is smack dab around the corner from the Duomo and had INCREDIBLE views of it from our suite! But Florence is a pretty compact city, so other hotels are bound to be just as "central". My best friend and her mother stayed at the Lucchesi and absolutely love it too. Have a wonderful time - my husband and I are going down to the Amalfi Coast in a few weeks! Love Italy!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:06 PM
Rod Hoots

Both the Gabrielli Sandwirth and Cavaletto are near San Marco square so you have ready access to the most popular tourist attractions. If you get a "lagoon front" room at the Sandwirth it will be noisy but with a wonderful view. When sightseeing you will have some walking and stairs to climb when going over the bridges. For example from the Sandwirth you have two or three bridges with about 12 steps up and down before you reach San Marco. Fortunately, there's always a place to sit and rest, in a sidewalk cafe or on the steps of a church or palace. There's a ferry boat stop steps from the Sandwirth so you can walk somewhere and then take the boat back. My wife and I are in our seventies and manage to get around Venice very well. Enjoy!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:03 AM
lisa

if you take tours i would assume that they would bring you into the centers of town eliminating the uphill walks. Good luck!

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Gigi

Am not familiar with the other mentioned hotels in Florence, but we stayed at the Lucchesi about a year and a half ago. Very nice hotel, near Santa Croce. but otherwise, if walking is a problem a littler far away from Piazza Signora, Uffizi etc. Brunelleschi sounds like it would be my choice.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Surlok

The Mascagni in Rome is a nice hotel. I think you'll be happy with it. It's about 0,3 miles, maybe a little more, from Piazza di Spagna and Fontana de Trevi. I 'm not sure, but think the Hotel Quirinale is quite close to the Mascagni. I'm not familiar with the accomodations there, though. <BR> <BR>The Bruneleschi is a beautiful hotel, by far superior to the other two. <BR> <BR>The Cavaletto, although being a BW, is a nice hotel, and it's closer to San Marco than the Sandwirth is. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip.