Spain - around Madrid

Search

Spain - around Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain - around Madrid

Leaving in about a week for ten days in the Madrid area. Have been to Madrid before but this time want to see things in/around Madrid. Flying into Madrid then driving directly to Segovia. Have planned on seeing the Valley of the Fallen; perhaps Escorial, for sure Avila and Salamanca - Toledo and Cuenca. From there we are stumped. We think Valencia is a large modern city and perhaps not worth the drive. We like history, old towns, castles, and the like. If anybody has any suggestions, please pass them on. We read all the tour books but learned long ago there is NO substitute for the suggestions of fellow travelers whose opinions you respect. Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 07:09 PM

I guess it will all depend on what you are interested in doing. Overall, with only 10 days, you will not have much time to waste, so you need to make a plan. Toledo and Cuenca you can do by train from Madrid, and apparently you'll have access to a car while in Segovia. Perfect for touring the immediate area. First of all, check a map and see where you'll be.

If you are interested in wine, you'll only be a short hop to the Ribera del Duero, which runs from Valladolid to Soria and includes the parts of the Burgos provence. You could easily spend 3 to 4 days since there is a lot of history, as well as wine, in the region.

You might be interested in downloading Maribel's Guide to Segovia and Madrid to help with your planning (www.maribelsguides.com).
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:54 PM

I understood that Valle de los Caidos (the Valley of the Fallen) is presently closed to public visits.
here are a few suggestions:
Siguenza
Buitrago
Chinchon
and if you are young at heart try the Parque Warner.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 02:06 AM

I spent a wonderful 4 days in Valencia earlier this year. The core of the city is rich with resplendent architecture and there is much to do, and see. I wrote a report about my experience; click on my name to find it.

I would think about taking the fast train from Madrid, not driving.

If you are interested in local foods, a weekend in Pedraza would be a treat.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 02:48 AM

from cuenca you can jut back across to Belmonte ( castle) and Alarcón, then go down into that rural area following the don quixote route to Consuegra ( castle and windmills). The wine district would also be lovely and not too cold yet this time of year, although much cooler than the south.

Here is a link to a short trip report on an area I frequent when i have guests. We usually overnight in one of the two historic places n Belmonte. Staying in Alarcón would also be nice.The parador in Cuenca is gorgeous and definitely at least a coffee stop. If you want more solitude, skip a weekend at Cuenca and go after the visitors are gone. The other towns it doesn't matter much, really.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ton-heston.cfm

If you decide to venture to valencia I will try to help you arrange a peaceful interesting stay. we have a lovely historic area of ton, and valencia feels much more low key than other large Spanish cities.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM

Hi! : I think from Segovia(if you have a car); you can take a short drive to Pedraza de la Sierra; a small village,full of charm,and they have an Asador serving the most tender roast lamb.
Besides this,I am a fan of Valencia; a short trip from Madrid on the Ave.This year we were in Valencia for some 3 days and really found the city is a jewel.you can read my report at:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-valencia.cfm
The report includes visits to Alcalá de Henares and Aranjuez.Enjoy your trip!!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM

Suggestions:
When in Segovia, make sure to visit La Granja-a beautiful little town w/Royal palace and grounds.
In Salamanca drive on to Tordesillas-where the treaty was signed dividing up the new world-great exhibit- and where the queen, Juana la loca, lived out her days in a convent that is worth visiting.There's a lovely square to have lunch.On the way out of the square there's a tiny bakery that is faous for it's cookies,polvorones.
In the airport, find the counity of adrid tourist office and they have great maps/info about the surrounding places/routes to follow.
One summer we drove way out of Madrid up the mountains to a fabulous village,Buitrago passing little villages along the way.We got the map from the tourist office that highlights places to visit outside of Madrid.

As to the Valley of the Fallen-much discussion by the government about removing Franco's body and figuring out what to do with it.Hard to find out if it's just closed on the inside or can you drive up and just walk around the outside.Personally it gives me the creeps
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
kja

Have you considered Salamanca?