SPAIN

Jan 26th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

SPAIN

Going to Madrid and Barcelona for 4 nights each the first 2 weeks of March. Any recommendations on where to stay. Will have 4 adults (2 that sleep together), was thinking of an apartment and if not that, a well located hotel, nice but because I will have to get 2 rooms, not too pricey. Will do some museums but am more interested in walking, eating and drinking, hanging with the locals.
Would also like to go to a futbol (soccer) game in either city, how do you go about getting tickets?
Was then planning to rent a car to do side trips such as Toledo, Consuegra and then the outlying pueblos of Barcelona.
Plan is to fly into Madrid, 4 nights
Toledo, 1 night in a Parador
Albacete, 1 night (to visit a friend)

Have 3 open nights before heading to Barcelona (so far by car), any recommendations?

Barcelona, 3 - 4 nights

2 free nights before heading back to US, any recommendations?
Jan 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM

The trains and buses in Sapin are fine and it is clearly not worth renting a car for Toledo especially if you are staying overnight.

The same holds true for seeing the sights outisde of Barcelona.

A different thought and I hope the Spaniards on the boaed will chime in. The word pueblo is not unviersally used in Spain. I am trying to recall the words used to decribe towns, but in our experience pueblo is not commonly used.
Jan 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about "pueblo". My son is over there and that's what he used!
Don't you see more by car?
Jan 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Yes, you will see more by car, but probably not for the areas you intend to go to--although I'm not familiar with Albacete.

If you could give an idea of about how much per room you would prefer to pay at a hotel, we could make better recommendations. Barcelona has an incredible number of apartments for very reasonable rates--like less than 200 euros per night for two double rooms, so that may be the best way to go.
Jan 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Madrid to Toledo is a well traveled route by buses and tarins. The parador in Toledo is across the river from Toledo and offers a spectacular view but you would not drive across the river to see the sights. A car inside most Spanish cities is more of a nuisance than a help. And as JulieV pointed out there are areas where a car allows you see more, but not particularly in the areas you are describing.

AS far as word pueblo so concerned, that is way I asked the Spanairds to chime in and I wrote a cosuin in Spain. It is just a word that I do not remember hearing that much.
Jan 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
My thought about the car was to get me in a weeks time from Madrid, Toledo, Albacete, maybe Valencia and eventually to Barcelona. Most of the time it's just 2 of us (from Albacete to Barcelona) but out of Madrid it would be 4 of us. I had looked at train fare betwen Madrid and Barcelona and just one way, was $230 (US).