Train travel to start trip

Jan 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Train travel to start trip

I am wondering what you opinion is on using both trains and rental cars? My husbad would really like to take a train (he saw something on tv and now wants to ride a train) and I was thinking that we could take a train from Dublin, day after we fly in, to either Belfast or Cork and pick a car up there. Is this a sensible idea? I was planning on renting a car the entire time, minus Dublin, but thought I would look into the trains. Thank you in advance for your advice!
Jan 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Novelty value apart: if you want to get from central Dublin to central Belfast or central Cork, the train is a much more sensible way to travel than driving.

If you want to go anywhere else, though, you might find - given the spectacular progress Ireland's making with its motorway system - that getting a taxi out to Dublin airport, collecting a car and driving to,say, Youghal or Middleton is actually slightly less hassle than training to Cork, hiring a car near Cork station then driving north again.

Depends on your plans.
Jan 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM

PS: In fact, I was in a meeting slightly north of Dublin recently with a Corconian who swore it was easier for her to fly up to Dublin than mess about with cars or trains.

There's never one single rule about these things
Jan 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM

If you rent your car from Enterprise they'll pick you up at the station.
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:07 AM

It's not a bad idea to take a train out of Dublin and then pick up a car elsewhere. There are plenty of car rental companies that operate in Belfast and Cork (all the big international/US ones are there), so you'll be fine with that plan.
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM

I'd take the train to galway or limerick and go see the west coast! so much prettier over there -- if you worry about driving - there is always getting a driver ???
Jan 21st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments! The driving doesn't bother me, we just thought it might be fun to ride a train, since neither one of us ever have!
Jan 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM

If you rail down to Cork you can spend the day visiting that extremely historic and interesting town (not the most beuatiful town but one with character) - then you would save a day's car rental and when ready motor via Blarney Castle, ancestral (home to the Flanneruk clan i think) - buss the stone and then head to Killarney and its wondrous country - do either the Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula - both rugged remote areas where, at least on the Dingle, Gaellic is still spoken as a daily tongue and peat smoke still curls out of chimneys - Dingel Town itself is a good base for the peninsula - check out perhaps Fungi the famous Dolphin that swam into Dingle's harbor years ago and has hung around - a cottage industry has sprung up where locals take folks out in boats to frolic with the friendly dolphin)

anyway then work you way north via the Cliffs of Mohair and the Burren and onto the Connemara, another Gaellic-speaking enclave -head to nearby Galway - a lively university town from where you can return to Dublin by train.
Jan 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Or if you have beaucoups time then from the Galway area keep motoring north, into Northern Ireland and head to the Giant's Causeway area and then over to Belfast - not sure if cars rented in Ireland can be returned in Northern Ireland without a huge charge but if so then ride the Peace Train, as the Belfast-Dublin train has been dubbed in a few hours back to Dublin.
Jan 25th, 2010, 11:29 PM

www.irishrail.ie will give you train times and fares.

yes, driving Dublin-Cork won't be very interesting, so take the train then explore the city for an afternoon, perhaps take the local train to Cobh (last port of call of Titanic and last resting place for many Lusitania passengers), then hire a car from next morning for Blarney Castle.
Jan 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Or take a frequent bus to Blarney, about five miles out of Cork, and stay in Cork - some great 'singing pubs' when i was there with traditional Celtic folk music - and start your car rental the next day, saving a day's rental.
Jan 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Just a bit of advice. Try to avoid departing Dublin by train on Friday afternoon or returning late Sunday afternoon. We always take the train from Dublin, and sometimes have little choice, but trains have been most crowded and noisy at those times.