Spain..

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 06:01 AM
Yvette

Spain..

I know someone had asked this about Germans, but how do the Spanish fare with foreigners? Do they look down upon foreigners, or are u generally accepted? I speak minimal spanish......

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 06:57 AM
elvira

Our experience in northern Spain was very positive - everyone seemed to like Americans (we stayed in a hotel in Barcelona that, I don't think, had ever seen Americans. Everyone was quite curious about us. Blond women were quite an attraction) and lots of people spoke English (and liked to try it out).

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 08:04 AM
mlosch

Our experience in Madrid, Toledo, and Salamanca was overwhelmingly positive. I didn't speak any Spanish before my trip but picked up a reasonable amount of "traveler's" Spanish while there. People who were not English speakers were happy to help even when you could muster only a word or two from the phrase book. Again, we were very struck by the warmth of the Spanish people.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 08:30 AM
Maira

Spaniards are, in general, very friendly, warm people with a vivid curiosity about other cultures (been somewhat isolated for centuries does that). Last time I visited (May 99), my husband & I met with German friends in Madrid. My personal impression was that people were very nice and friendly because I was speaking Spanish to them. But when I did asked my German friends and my husband, they told me that their impression was the same; Spaniards are very nice.

I do think that sometimes what is perceived as a cold and distant European (French, Germans, etc..) is actually a person who respects your personal space and does not want to cross the line out of consideration for you.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 12:27 AM
FrankR

The Spanish are exceptionally friendly
& helpful, they don't get sniffy about
people with phrasebook Spanish (unlike
the French) indeed they will cooperate
& try to help.Very little English is
spoken outside the main tourist areas.
Avoid the Costas (big tourist beach resorts)