Spain, 14 days, Madrid + Andalusia

Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain, 14 days, Madrid + Andalusia

We'll be in Spain the 1st 2 weeks of March. We're flying in/out of MAD (no open jaw due to cheap tickets). Never been to Spain before so we'll spent a few days in Madrid, head onto Andalusia, then backtrack to Madrid somehow.

We are the "slow trav" type and prefer to do day trips instead of moving every couple nights. I want to pick one or two good base cities in Andalusia. Would Seville and Granada be good choices? We'll have a rental car.

We are a family of 4 so what is the most economic way to get between MAD and Andalusia? I know the AVE is fast and convenient but with 4 tickets at 70e each, it adds up. Would it make more sense to drive or explore the option of cheap domestic flights at 25e each?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions. You guys are great!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I would explore Madrid for 4 days and bus down to Seville ($16/pp; 4-hours trip). Explore Seville for 3-4 days then pick rental car from Estacion Santa Justa (Auto Europe; no drop off charge at Barajas) and begin exploring at leisure. I don't think March is a time of the year when you need to book every hotel in advance, so a bit of planning as far as sightseeing is more crucial than nailing down the home bases. List out the places you all will like to visit in Andalucia, draw one/two circles that will include most of them, the center of your circles are your two logical home bases. Get lodging as close as you can from there.

If I had to suggest home bases; Madrid, Seville, and Malaga/Marbella/Puerto Banus. Seville is a wonderful city that deserve time. One of the other three will allow for comfortable day trips for the easternmost White Towns, Granada, Ronda, Mijas at a time of the year when daylight and weather are limiting factors. On your way back to Madrid, stop in Toledo; an overnight is even better.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
sjj

If you visit Grenada, be sure to see the Alhambra. If you decide to go there, reserve a time for your visit well in advance and think about staying in a nearby hotel.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we live a mile from the ocean so sunning in Costa del Sol is not on our list.

Thanks for the tip on the bus. $16/pp sure sounds a lot better than $70/pp on AVE for a family of 4. I guess it even beats $25/pp domestic flight since getting to/from the airport plus flight time will be very close to the 4 hrs on the bus?

I've seen many posts about no parking in Seville so we should not pickup the car until we leave Seville. Is Cordoba a doable day trip from Seville?

What about parking in Granada? We also want to see Ronda and the white towns.

Driving back to Madrid, is it better do stop by Toledo on the way or should we do Toledo as a day trip from MAD at the beginning?

Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM

If you are only going to explore Sevilla, then you should wait until you're ready to leave before picking up the car since you'll have no need for one in the city. Public transportation is great and taxis are an inexpensive option.

Cordoba is an easy day trip from Sevilla on the AVE, or by car (on the drive back to Madrid).

Parking in Granada is similar to Sevilla, but the Parador provides parking, as does several other hotels.

You'll need a car to see Ronda and the white towns.

You can do Toledo either way, as a day trip or as a stop on the way back to Madrid. It’s worth at least one night.

If you are going to be driving in Andalucia, then you should pick up the Michelin Regional Guide #578. You’d also be well off picking up the Regional Guide #575, which should include all of the new road designations. Driving around Madrid can get confusing without an up to date map.

I also suggest you check out "Explore Seville" (http://www.exploreseville.com/) and download a copy of Maribel's Guide to Sevilla and Madrid (http://maribelsguides.com).
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Pick up the car when you leave Madrid - the trip down to Andalusia is quick and easy - highway all the way. And I would return the same way -stopping to see a handy town on the way.

IMHO Andalusia is MUCH more interesing than Madrid (we spent 4 days in Madrid - including a day trip to toledo - and it was overkill) while the south is much more interesting and unique.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM

I don't think "sunning" in March in Costa del Sol is even an option, so the suggestion about home basing in the area had all to do with logical home base and nothing to do w/"sunning".

Robert's reply is exactly what I would had recommended. I would only comment that I have been to the Alhambra during low season (more than once) and have always walked right to the ticket booth and got a ticket with no problem; I have never made reservations. Pure luck I guess....The Alhambra has good parking facilities these days, much better than say 10 years ago. Access from the highway is also so much better.

I just want to reiterate that if you are planning to stay in Seville after Madrid do NOT even consider driving/parking in Seville. Not worth the hassle. The bus from Madrid is the best value.

While in Madrid do not miss a day trip to Avila, Segovia, and Alacala de Henares, if possible.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Don;t know if the cost of 4 people on the bus would be less than a car - but it certainly prevents you from having the freedom to explore anything along the way.

As long as you have the car in the south I would just drive it back and forth as well.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I guess the only reason that's keeping me from driving from Madrid to Seville is that parking/traffic is a hassle in Seville.

Regarding Ronda and Pueblos Blancos, is it doable as a day trip from Granada?
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:59 AM

Granada-Ronda-White Towns is doable; however, since you stated you are "slow travelers" and want minimal home bases, I recommended staying in Seville and one other spot east so that you can maximize day trips without having to drive 3-4 hours one way. The White Towns Route is easier/prettier if you eiethr start down the coast and work your way bordring the coast and then into the mountains or start drving down from Seville. Seville - Ronda is a nice daytrip.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:27 AM

No, you do not want to drive/park in Seville unless you absolutely have to. We did a 2 week road trip through southern Spain and found driving to be very pleasant, except for 2 locations: Madrid and Seville. If you can avoid it, do so. Explore Seville and possibly Cordoba without a car. To do the Pueblos Blancos/Ronda, you will need a car, but pick it up on the way out of Seville. Trust me, best advice you will get in regards to Spain.

However, I do recommend driving back to Madrid. This can afford an opportunity to explore should you choose to do so.

I would also suggest staying overnight in Toledo, if possible. I know you stated you would rather pick a home base and then day trip. But Toledo can be overrun with daytrippers (same is true of Ronda, unfortunately), and you really don't get a feel for the city, IMO, until after all the daytrippers leave.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Of course there's a disent voice about driving and parking in Sevilla. I worked there for quite a few years and I always found parking slots. I do have to agree that my car wasn't when I returned but I knew it would be kept.

Don't plan on parking near the Barrio Santa Cruz. But, there's lots of places around that area. You have to learn where it's good parking.

I used to use underground parking if I planned to be shopping for a few hours. I also used the underground parking when I'm going to be late in the evening.

The traffic and be heavy but most cities have this problem. There's a circular road around Sevilla and using this road gives you to the center of the city with the minimum traffic.

Giving you a new viewpoint of Sevilla while driving.

Blackduff
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Agree with blackduff.
You don't need a car in Seville, but having one shouldn't present a major problem (other than having to pay rather steeply for secure parking).
Just don't bring your car inside the centre, and leave it in one of many underground or overground parking lots that dot on the edge of El Centro - there is a large convenient one on Plaza de Armas, and many hotels give a discount on fees, around 11.50 € for 24 hours. There are clearly signposted from the inner ring road.
List of parking lots in http://www.sol.com/modulo.asp?IdProv...ubTipoCont=804
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:37 PM

I do not recommend Ronda as a daytrip from Granada. Too many thigs to see: first Antequera, then Campillos (a short stop just for the church entrance, at least). Then Teba and castle. And the road itself very picturesque upon reaching Ronda. And then driving to the Pueblos....I recommend a night stay in Ronda, at least.