Search

Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM
gail

Spain

My husband & I are planning to go to Spain in late Sept. or early Oct. We plan to take a tour from Madrid for about a week--Any suggestions as to which tour Co.--I know Tauck is too expensive--we were thinking about Brendan--any comments?? Also we would like to spend a few days if posssible exploring on our own--prefferably something off beat--any suggestions??

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:01 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Spain is easy to tour, so why not rent a car and do your own trips ?<BR><BR>Many thousands of none Spanish speakers take independent tours each year.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Graziella

Hi Gail, I also think that renting a car and doing your own tour is a great choice. You can for instance, leave Madrid towards El Monasterio del Escorial, visit it have lunch in the little town of El Escorial, In the Monasterio del Escorial they offer great guided tours, then continue to SEgovia sleep in Segovia visit the city and then continue to Avila, spend the night at the Parador, in both cities , surely you can hire a guide to visit these enchanting cities and then continue to Salamanca, in Salamanca avoid the Parador, stay in town in one of several nice places like the Rector Hotel, spend there at least two\three days. then ....there are several options but if you wish to come back to Madrid you can drive to Toledo....and then to Madrid . THere are many other charming places to visit between Toledo and Madrid. Buena suerte.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Karen

Gail,<BR>I would agree with other posters that Spain is very easy, and inexpensive, to tour on your own. Try looking at the itenaries from the tour companies, and following them, or creating your own. If expense is an issue (isn't it always???), you can stay at motels outside of cities if you rent a car. And the countryside and small towns and villages in Spain are beautiful. We found Spain to be a great experience with a car and no definite place to be each day. Happy travels!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:16 AM
gail

Thank you--we will look into traveling on our own--my husband has always been reluctant about DRIVING--are the roads narrow like Ireland?? Do you drive on the opposite side? Gail

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Rex

Spain roads are excellent, and they drive on the right - - the same as in the US and all the rest of continental Europe.<BR><BR>Make sure and check out www.madridmand.com for all kinds of help planning your trip as well. Not just for Madrid.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>