Search

Southwest Ireland Self Drive Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southwest Ireland Self Drive Itinerary

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Ireland in May 2011. We will be arriving to Shannon Airport at 4:10pm. How is my itinerary? Is this too many activities? Is there any I missed that is a must see in this region? I'm not sure how much time to allocate for each places. We want to enjoy the scenery. What do you recommend when visiting Wesport?

Day 1: Arrive at Airport 4:10pm, First night hotel at Cashel Palace @ Cashel, Co, Tipperary

Day 2: Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle, check into the B&B in Kinsale

Day 3: Mizen Head, Drombeg Stone Circle, check into B&B in Kilarnery (2 nights)

Day 4: Kilarnery National Park, Rings of Kerry

Day 5: Dingle Penisula, Gallarus Oratory, Check in B&B in Dingle

Day 6: The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Check in B&B in Galway (2 nights)

Day 7: Connemara National Park

Day 8: Westport, Achill Island, Check in Dromoland Castle

Day 9: Arrive at Shannon airport at 8:30-9am. Drop off rental car. Flight at 12:15pm

What do you recommend revising? Or adding to see instead?

Thank you!!
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Perhaps you could re-plan using 30 mph as a gauge... and particularly check time getting to Cashel from Shannon arriving so late and with jet lag
You WILL have long daylight hours. The hotel is gorgeous but will you get there in time to enjoy it?
Otherwise the itinerary looks good.
One thing to remember (for anyone driving in Ireland)... Until recently I could fill up my little Peugeot for 23 Euro. Last time it cost 50 and it's going up on a regular basis.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Ditto what tenaya wrote.
It may take a while to pick up the car and drive from Shannon to Cashel - though it's a fairly easy drive. Not sure if you can really enjoy being there for just a few hours from 8pm till next morning.
Since you have a moderate schedule for day 2, you could as well just get into Limerick by bus, stay the night, and pick up your rental car in town next morning, and be in Cashel once the castle will open.
Day 8 would be a bit too much driving for me.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies!

I am working on changing hotel from Cashel to Limerick.

For Day 3: Mizen Head & Drombeg Stone Circle or Ring of Kerry or Michael Skelligs??

Day 4: Changing it to Gap of Dunloe Tour

Day 5: Changing our B&B to Doolin for Day 6 Tour

Day 6: Aran Island & Cliffs of Moher Cruise Tour

What do you suggest for Day 8? We are open to ideas!!

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:23 AM

Sorry, I don't know much about the NW, but there are many other regular posters here who have traveled Northern Co. Galway and Mayo so I am sure you will get lots of ideas if you either top your own thread regularly. Or open a new thread asking for suggestions specifically for that region.

On Day 3, you can see the Drombeg Stone Circle easily as it's just off the main route N71 from Cork/Kinsale.
The intersection in Ross Carbery where the R597 veers off is a bit easy to miss as there are so many signs for B&Bs and other places mounted on the same signpost. Just keep your eyes open once you crossed the bay on a dam, the intersection is 1/2 mile after that.
After you seen the Stone Circle you can keep on driving that small regional road through Glandore and Unionhall, both cute small villages.

Many will probably find the drive to Mizen Head less spectacular than the Ring of Kerry or Ring of Beara.
When thinking about the "Ring roads", keep in mind that the Ring of Kerry gets lots of tour buses, while those are not allowed on the Ring of Beara.
Logistically, doing the latter would interfere a bit with your plans to stay in Killarney on day 3/4 so you would have to consider if driving the Ring of Beara is worth to play around with your itinerary once more.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Cowboy1968! I will look into Ring of Beara and Stone Circle for Day 3.

Still researching what to do in Galway area. Thinking of going to Achill Island and Wesport on Day 7. Then, Connemara National Park on Day 8. Less driving to Dromoland Castle.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your reply! We had a great time in Ireland!

Here's a link to my Ireland blog:

https://sites.google.com/site/meiandmarksadventures/
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM

120 miles a day at slow speeds on narrow roads with roundabouts every 5 miles wiped us out 10 years ago. Just be alert with a map/GPS and pace yourself. Beautiful but stressful if you try to do too much!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
deladeb: "<i>Just be alert with a map/GPS and pace yourself.</i>"

See meimei's post directly above yours. They are back and reporting on the trip.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:38 AM

I enjoyed looking at your pictures especially the food and room pics! Thanks for sharing!