SOUTHWEST GERMANY

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 07:07 PM
Dan & Sue

SOUTHWEST GERMANY

We will be driving through Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden, and Freiburg between September 20 and 25. On the way south, we will detour over to Strasbourg, France. We enjoy the landscapes and castles. We also enjoy full malt beers from microbreweries. If you have any unique sites to see, please pass them along to us. We live in Inuvik, NWT, Canada. North of the Arctic Circle. We would appreciate your input. Thanks. <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 07:21 PM
Tom

Your trip is one we have done before, except for Baden Baden. Heidleburg is a wonderful little univerity town that saw a good bit of action during the Reformation. Go to the fortress above the city and you will see the results and get a beautiful view of the city.If you are looking for castles, then you need to spend a day cruising, driving or training on the Rhine. The area from Mainz (near Frankfurt) to Koblenz is absolutely wonderful. The drive from Heidelburg to Freiburg is rather uneventful as you drive down the autobahn. Freiburg is a wonderful little town that is the gateway to the Black Forest. It has an awesome Gothic cathedral. I have not been to Strausburg or Nancy, although I hear that they are very nice.Regarding beers...I too love the nectar of the gods and Germany is a wonderful place to find it. Buy yourself an inexpensive beer guide. Some have the beers listed by country, etc. There are over 700 breweries in Germany. Most small towns have one...therefore, you can sample as many as you like just driving the route you have chosen. The big seller is Warsteiner, a great pilsner.Hope this helps and have a great trip.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 08:46 AM
wes fowler

Beer loving tourists in Southwest Germany in late September and you're not going to Oktoberfest in Munich?!? For shame! If you do change your minds and itinerary, consider stopping at the little village of Andechs just south of Munich between the Ammersee and the Starnbergersee. The monastery in Andechs has been brewing beer for over 600 years. The beer is one of the world's premiere beers; it doesn't travel well. You'll find it in Andechs and the neighboring villages but nowhere else.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 05:47 PM
Liz Schultz

The beer in Germany is the nectar of the gods, but do not forget the wonderful German wines. In that area you have the wonderful; Mosel and Rhine wines along with the wines from the Kaiserstul near Freiburg. The small local winery's have wonderful wine tasting and the scenery is just breathtaking. Have a great trip, Germany is such a wonderful, historical country to visit. <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 06:55 PM
Bob

I agree with Andechs. We were there last summer on a rainy day and the beer was great. We tried a lot on the trip and this ranked with the best. <BR>