DRIVING THE AMALFI COAST

Jun 30th, 1998, 08:45 AM
Nikki

DRIVING THE AMALFI COAST

Is the drive on the Amalfi Coast (S163) really as frightening as they say? What would it be comparable to in the USA?

Jun 30th, 1998, 08:58 AM
Monica

I wouldn't drive the Amalfi coast. It left my heart beating pretty fast even driving South on the side of the mountain (as a passenger). The road is very narrow and VERY windy with hair pin curves. Someone mentioned part of the California coast has a road similar to this with the hair pin curves. I'd let someone else do the driving. And head South! starting at Vietri sul Mare down to Sorrento.

Jun 30th, 1998, 10:45 AM
Karen

If you like to drive then driving the Amalfi Coast can be invigorating..the only big problem is number of huge tour buses on a road so narrow you would swear it could only handle a compact car going one way. If you want to really enjoy the scenery it is best to be a passenger as you really do need to keep your eyes on the road..I would compare it to the "Road to Hanna" on Maui but with steeper cliffs.

Jun 30th, 1998, 07:35 PM
Dayle

I have been a passenger on the road to Hana and have driven Highway 1 through Big Sur, CA, but I wouldn't want to drive the Amalfi Coast! I was glad I was a passenger. The narrow, twisting road is enough of a challenge without the tour bus traffic jams. I guarantee you will see chunks out of the homes and buildings fronting the road through towns, I did.

Jul 1st, 1998, 04:13 AM
francesca

We just got back from this area. You do need to have nerves of steel to drive that road, as my husband does (we live in Paris, and he is a French driver, which probably helps). On the positive side, the roads are narrow and crowded, so people can't go that fast. And, if you are planning to go off-season (which you probably should...), there will be a lot fewer tour buses. I would stay calm, go whatever speed is comfortable for you, don't drink and drive and travel off season! It is definitely worth it to have a car in this area of Italy.
Also, watch out for fog further up the mountains (ie. in Ravello).

Jul 1st, 1998, 09:06 AM
Richard

Nikki, Yes, the closest thing in the States is probably CA1 but I think the Amalfi drive is much more interesting from a driver's point of view. We drove it in October and so the buses were few, and they do blow their horns at the tight turns so you know when to give way, they're coming! On our drive, Naples to Paestum, my wife was on the out (cliff) side and was a real white-knuckler. I thought the warnings of what a hair-raiser it is were much exaggerated.

Jul 7th, 1998, 09:15 PM
Shamim Kassam

The Amalfi coast is stunning and you do have to pay attention when driving, but you will get a thrill and enjoy it more if you go off-season. I have been there in early November when the weather is still good and there are not too many tourists around so while driving you can pull into scenic spots at the very last minute.

I would recommend driving because you will want to visit Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, etc. Do not forget to visit Capri and Pompeii also.

Enjoy it whenever you decide to go.

Search this Thread