Search

southern spain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southern spain

My husband and I would like to spend a few nights relaxing after being in Madrid and Seville in early November. Any preferences between Rhonda and Grazalema?
Thanks
Cynthia
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 01:48 AM

Wow, first time hearing about Grazalema, just looked it up and I think I will be adding it to my list of places to visit in Spain That being said, I don't think it can compare to Rhonda for me. I have been wanting to visit this breathtaking town and its famous bridge Puente Nuevo for a while now. Hope you get a chance to see it.
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 03:36 AM

I would also vote for Ronda
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 06:34 AM

I have a soft spot for Ronda--the only place I have experienced a sunset getting applause. But as an avid hiker Grazalema is on my list for next time. Both have hiking opportunities in the environs--those in Grazalema are perhaps slightly more convenient for just setting off on foot without a drive or bus/train ride. Ronda has a vibrant new town in addition to the interesting old town. You can't go wrong.so just consider what you want to do while there and peek at accommodations to see what appeals. Zahara sounds nice too.
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 06:38 AM

In early Nov. you might encounter rainy days , we did in Madrid , Seville and Granada. - in
mid. Oc..
who knows about the wether, but keep it in mind.
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 07:25 AM
twk

Originally Posted by yorkshire
I have a soft spot for Ronda--the only place I have experienced a sunset getting applause. But as an avid hiker Grazalema is on my list for next time. Both have hiking opportunities in the environs--those in Grazalema are perhaps slightly more convenient for just setting off on foot without a drive or bus/train ride. Ronda has a vibrant new town in addition to the interesting old town. You can't go wrong.so just consider what you want to do while there and peek at accommodations to see what appeals. Zahara sounds nice too.
Unless you're going to hike, or looking for solitude, there's not much reason to prefer Grazalema to Ronda for an overnight stay.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:14 AM

Agree with twk. So the question is what kind of activities you prefer during those few extra days?
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:30 AM

In November 2017, we were planning to go to Prague, planned the trip and switch gears to sunny Malaga literally a week before the flight. Weather in Prague was miserable. Weather in Malaga was picture perfect: we had 10 days of sunshine and enjoyed every minute of our trip. We made it to Ronda (our second visit) and I was so disappointed: the crowds were beyond any reasonable imagination, tourist buses everywhere near to El Tajo Gorge and Puente Nuevo, selfie takers pushing and shoving each other. Total nightmare. But you are lucky: if you stay overnight in Ronda, the hordes of tourists will disappear in the evening and will not arrive until late morning. We had done it during our first trip and enjoyed our time in Ronda. We were hiking during the day returning to the tourist spots in the evening, but it was in May - we had a luxury of long daylight in spring.

Have you thought of Malaga? Such a gorgeous, vibrant, southern city with top-notch museums, lively nightlife and flamenco shows, amazing restaurants, stunning Cathedral, breathtaking views from the Alcazaba and Castello Gibralfaro... We fell in love with Malaga and cannot wait to return.
Old May 8th, 2019, 01:27 PM

Grazalema at this time of the year will feel lonely... I'd go for Ronda. More hotels, more restaurants...Try to visit Arcos de la Frontera also, for example on the way from Seville to Ronda.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've never been to Ronda, but I always thought Hemingway's description was funny:

" . . . Ronda. That is where you should go if you ever go to Spain on a honeymoon or if you ever bolt with any one. The entire town and as far as you can see in any direction is romantic background . . . if a honeymoon or an elopement is not a success in Ronda it would be as well to start for Paris and both commence making your own friends. Ronda has everything you wish for a stay of that sort, romantic scenery, you can see it if necessary without leaving the hotel, beautiful short walks, good wine, seafood, a fine hotel, practically nothing else to do, two resident painters who will sell you water colors that will frame as attractive souvenirs of the occasion; and really, in spite of all this, it is a fine place."

-- From Death in the Afternoon
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:04 AM

Perfect description! I guess OP decided already
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:22 AM

Oh Fra, now I want to discover Rhonda even more!
Old May 11th, 2019, 02:21 PM

Prepared to be underwhelmed after an hour or so for me and many others who post here.
Old May 12th, 2019, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Prepared to be underwhelmed after an hour or so for me and many others who post here.
Agree. OK for an overnighter and a few hours of sightseeing. I'd head straight to Málaga.
Old May 12th, 2019, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by MyriamC
Agree. OK for an overnighter and a few hours of sightseeing. I'd head straight to Málaga.
Me too. Malaga is often overshadowed by her famous Andalusian neighbors, Seville,*Granada and Ronda. While I certainly understand why Seville and Granada are not to miss destinations in Andalusia, I am puzzled why Ronda is so popular. I was more attracted to lovely Arcos de la Frontera, Jerez, and Antequera. It is just me of course... I fell in love with Malaga from the first sight and am so glad we stayed there on our second trip to Andalusia.*
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:01 AM

Add me to the underwhelmed by Ronda group. I never, on several trips down the Costa Brava, saw anything remotely arresting about it. Boring, small place, and LOADS of other places with much finer scenery and attractions not far away.

I think Hemingway was being sarcastic. I'd put Ronda several hundred places down on any list of places to visit in Spain - and that's just one country in Europe.
Old May 12th, 2019, 09:38 AM

It has been a long time since Hemingway has paid his visit to Ronda. I highly doubt we would be able to find this place “romantic” drowning in the swarms of selfie takers, endless cavalcade of arriving tourist buses and huge groups of tourists from China screaming on top of their lungs and running over everyone on their way. I regret visiting Ronda for the second time; I would have been better off keeping nice memories of our first visit. I actually behaved much better than my husband, who was really furious and rushed to our car way earlier than planned. It was a good move: we were back to delightful Malaga early enough for a nice dinner and a fascinating walk at night.