Search

Southern italy- itineries

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern italy- itineries

Hey all,
Am going to Italy in Nov and have gotten some excellent feedback on acco's from all of you. Now to the itineries- any suggestions for southern itlay itineries for early NOv. We arrive in rome and have 8 days.
Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:31 AM

For the best recommendations, you will need to give us more information. Such as which area in the South? Have you made hotel reservations already? Are any particular towns a must see for you? Will you drive or train?

Carol

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

We wouldlike to spend a cople of days in rome- and maybe see places like sorrento, pompeii and naples- at the moment we don't really care since we have not seen anything. We wd like to drive maybe for some flexibility, but train is not out of question. I hope this helps.No hotel reservations as yet.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM

We are leaving for Rome and the AC next week. We are renting a guest house for the week. I will do a trip report when we return. If nothing else, I may be able to provide you with restaurant, sightseeing info...
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

What is AC???? Sorry if this sounds ignorant.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:50 AM

AC would be the Amalfi Coast. We are doing a slightly shorter trip in March, but our general itinerary is:
Rome - 3 nights: Ancient Rome, Vatican City, Tivoli Gardens
Sorrento - 4 nights: Pompeii, Capri, driver to take us along the Amalfi Coast
(The one recommended on this website was francesco marrapese at www.francescomarrapese.com)
To get from Rome to Sorrento we will take the train to Naples and then the train from Naples to Sorrento.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Sorry, yes, it is the Amalfi Coast. We are staying in Massalubrense - a town south of Sorrento. We arrive in Rome 9/27 stay for 3 days, then drive to Massa for 7 days then back up to Rome for another 2 days. I have gotten sooo much info from this site as well as slowtrav.com. The actual recent trip reports as well as recent travel experiences help to narrow the itinerary. We started out with far too many destinations and have narrowed our itinerary to a few and I'm sure that that will be narrowed further once we actually get there. Due in part to shopping,eating and wandering. I figure that if we see 1-2 major sights per day, we will be doing fine. Don't forget that many of the sites can be done at night (Trevi , Spanish Steps), some even better at night for the real flavor of Rome. It has been highly recommended to attempt the Scavi tour (under the Vatican), we are still waiting for a response to our ticket request! Good luck with your research...
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info-
Not sure when all ofyou are travelling- but november is not a bad time for the AC- is it?
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM

From most of the stuff I've seen it shouldn't be bad. It's getting towards the time when many places close down for a month or two, but I think that is more Jan - March (which is making things a bit more tricky for us). Enjoy!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Do let us allknow how italy at that time is? So cheap to fly then. All the best.