Southern Italy Help!!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Eva

Southern Italy Help!!

Hello-
I am planning a trip in the spring to Italy and am torn between staying in Naples or Sorrento.. Any suggestions? Has anyone taken a ferry between the two?
Also, has anyone ventured all the way down to Reggio di Calabria or Catanzaro? Is it worth the trip to go that far south? If so any hotel recommendations in those areas?
Thanks for you help

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Mike Miller

We stayed in Sorrento in Oct. Easiest way to get to Naples is via the train called the Circumvesnuvia. All depends on what you are seeking. If you want the big city then stay in Naples. It has a couple of world class museums. If you want to stay on the beautiful Amalfi coast, stay in Sorrento. Also, the shopping in Sorrento is plentiful and reasonable.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Wayne

If you have time and are inclined, head farther south, not toward Reggio di Calabria, but into Puglia, the heel of the boot. There you will feel as if you are the only tourist in the area--which indeed you might be. The people are warm and friendly, the food is good, and the area is full of small villages that are just plain fun to visit and explore. This area always seems to be left out because it doesn't have any big "name" attractions; but what is does have is bundles of charm and warmth.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:59 PM
peter

my pereference is to stay in sorrrento and take the hydrofoil(aliscolfi) across the bay to napoli

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Eva

thanks for the tips-
Any hotel suggestions in Sorrento

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Vincenzo

Eva, would you like for accomodation at Sorernto something that's better than hotel ? It's a villa into a very fine garden. After my opinion is a golden solution, believe me.
If you wish I give you name and address.
Ciao.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 12:54 PM
xxxx

Vincenzo, tell all of us.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 01:00 PM
micia

Eva,
I really would not go out of my way just to go see Reggio or Catanzaro.
If you have friends or family there, then that is different.
If you are wanting to see something in the south and you cannot go to Sicily, then Puglia was a good idea as suggested above.
A must see if you go, Alberobello.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 02:51 PM
eva

Vincenzo-
Yes, I am open to other options. Please give me more information on the villa-

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:01 PM
peter

try la tonnarella hotel. look in fromers travel book and im sure it has the address. its 1/2 mile uphill of the main city so it quite. the rooms have a fabulouos view of the bay of napoli and vesuvious. there is an elavator to the pebbly beech 800 ft below the hotel. good location and friendly staff esp if you speak some italian

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Betsy

I'd stay in Sorrento and take the boat to Naples. Hotel Lorelei is a budget hotel with a phenomenal view and nice terrace restaraunt. If you can pay more great, but if you want a million dollar view on a budget, this place is a gem.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Maryann

Ditto on the Lorelei in Sorrento. Fabulous view, good food. If you need TV, stay elsewhere. Try for a room off the street. There are balcony rooms with a view forever.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Gar

hi there,
dont miss Casserta, about 30 km north east of Napoli. As a UNESCO hreitage of mankind it is a beautiful castle and a breathtaking garden. Easy to reach from Napoli.
have fun
Gar

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Vincenzo

Eva, I find suggests of other friends very good: hotel La Tonnarella and a day trip to Caserta.
About La Tonnarella, it is over the sea, and in summer restaurant is on the beach. The owners are the workers, too.
About Caserta, Royal Palace is the biggest Royal Palace in Europe, more than Versailles and the Park is unique in the world.
When you go to Caserta, don't miss buffalo mozzarella: the true mozzarella di bufala, handmade only with milk of bufala: unforgettable.
The villa I suggest you is Il Pizzo. It is at Sant'Agnello, and Sant'Agnello is far 1km from Sorrento.
Only 6 rooms and pretty atmosphere.
I haven't phone number but I know there is a website: www.dontorquato.com
My only problem, perhaps, is about rates: they aren't cheap.
Anyway: the place is wonderful!
Felle free e-mail me if you think I can help you.
I live in Penisola Sorrentina.
Ciao.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Nance

Is it near Ristorante Antico Francischiello da Peppino, Vincenzo?
I can't get your web site to work in English.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Vincenzo

No, dear Nance, Francischiello is after Sorrento toward Massalubrense. Il Pizzo is at Sant'Agnello that is before Sorrento.
In other words coming from Naples you find before Sant'Agnello, then Sorrento and after Massalubrense.
Sorry, I cannot understand what means your second sentence.
Feel free e-mail me so I'll understand.
Thanks, ciao.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Nance

Dear Vincenzo, I was thinking about this place: http://www.francischiello.com/raf/
Is it near where you are?