Southern Germany - a base for travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I got a taste for Southern Germany last year with 4 nights in Heidelberg and 4 in Freiburg. Looking to do something similar in late August/early September. Suggestions please for 1 or 2 towns in the south that offer a similar range of attractions, with maybe the bonus of having 3 day rail/bus tourist passes for sale.
Last year we travelled by rail from the UK - Eurostar to Brussels, DB to Frankfurt [1 night stay], then down to Heidelberg etc. Maybe this time we could route through Koln?
We are in our early 70s, so sight seeing, scenic walks, & of course good food and drink, rather than white water rafting & rock climbing!
Looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 07:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at Lake Constance, various bases jump up but it allows you to visit Austria and Switzerland as well.

Roller blading perhaps?
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 08:07 AM

Bamberg springs to mind. A rightly popular city which easily can keep you busy for two days and a good base for cities around such as Nürnberg or maybe a trip to my favourite church in this part of the world: Vierzehnheiligen (a not too strenuous walk from the railway station in Bad Staffelstein).
Another agreeable city is Regensburg, with maybe a boat trip to the peculiar Walhalla or a day trip to Landshut.
Würzburg is a good place to start this part of the world: a short train ride from Frankfurt. Wonderful for a walk through the vineyards above the city.
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 12:36 PM

Why not Munich? You can get everywhere easily from there. I love Bamberg but it's a little more out of the way.
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 02:05 PM

Last year we travelled by rail from the UK - Eurostar to Brussels, DB to Frankfurt [1 night stay], then down to Heidelberg etc. Maybe this time we could route through Koln?>

Easy - Eurostar to Brussels then either Thalys or ICE trains to Cologne from same station.

Bamberg I agree is a terrific town -lots of easy day trips with the dirt-cheap regional pass Bavarian Lander ticket (think Bamberg is in Bavaria!) Nuremburg and Regensberg are two great cities too and of course Rothenburg too.

Then move to Munich or if not into big cities to some smaller base like Garmisch-Partenkirchen -hit Mad Ludwig's castles - Dachau - even day trip to Salzburg, Austria -all on the Bavarian Lander Ticket -unlimited regional trains and buses and city transports for a whole day for about 30 euros total for up to several people on one pass. Buy it at local stations -no need to pre-order.

For lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en -official site of German Railways; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

PS You can surf board in Munich's Englischer Gardens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25vOH3WDtIg
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 05:48 PM

"1 or 2 towns in the south that offer a similar range of attractions, with maybe the bonus of having 3 day rail/bus tourist passes for sale."

Sounds like you traveled via Cologne last time. Brussels-Frankfurt trains stop in Cologne using the direct route.

But even if you took the longer route via Koblenz and Mainz through the Middle Rhine and Mosel Valleys, it seems you didn't stop there to see any of the sights. 2-3 days for Cochem (not far from Burg Eltz Castle, Braubach (Marksburg Castle,) Boppard, St. Goar (Rheinfels Castle) and Oberwesel would be worthwhile. These old-world wine towns are a delight. Catch a chairlift ride in Boppard up to the clifftops and Gedeonseck for a walk around and a superb view.

Cochem: http://www.der-takt.de/typo3temp/_pr...087e83a8d1.jpg

Boppard: http://ext.pimg.tw/samlucky5711/1379...g?v=1379089585

A VRM mini-group day pass for trains is only €22/2 adults and will take you to all these places.

Then I suggest you head to Nuremberg as previously suggested. Nice city, excellent base for train day trips to Bamberg, Bad Windsheim, Bayreuth and Iphofen. Use the VGN day pass - the Tagesticket plus - for those towns.
It's only €19/day for 2 adults. If you buy it on Sat., it's valid on Sun. too:
http://www.vgn.de/en/dayticket?&Edit...gesticket-plus

Both the VRM and VGN passes can be bought from ticket machines at the station.

You can also day trip to Würzburg, Regensburg and Munich from Nuremberg. Use the Bayern ticket for those trips - €31/day/2. Buy it at the station too.

These are all great destinations - no time for ALL of them so check them all out and pick what interests you most.

Iphofen: http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...1668ab80262115

Bamberg: http://en.bamberg.info/
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Lots of great ideas and now we have plenty of time to research and plan. Thanks everyone.
I guess "Rollerblade" and "Surfboard" are local regional dishes. Must check in my German-English dictionary!
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 04:48 AM

you are 70 years young!
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM

I'd aslo support visiting the Mosel valley which is lovely, but not in the south.