Search

SOUTH WALES TRIP

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 02:16 AM
mot
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOUTH WALES TRIP

I will travel to South Wales for 9 days beggining June and will visit the hihlights of Cardiff, Brecon Beacons (incl Tintern Abbey), Gower Peninsula and Pembrokeshire. I don't like to move from accomodation to accomodation because of all the hassle of packing etc. Any suggestions for say max 3 places to stay along this route so that I can cover it all (by car)?
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM

We stayed at a very nice Bed and Breakfast near Newport that lies between Chepstow and Cardiff. The establishment is called The Brick House.

The house itself is on a working farm, but the guests stay in relatively new rooms even though the house is very old on the exterior.

http://www.stayinwales.co.uk/detail.cfm?i=4866

We ate dinner there one night, but I was with a group so I don't know the terms of having dinner there every night. Chepstow has a fascinating castle to visit, and if you can find out when the male voice choir is rehearsing or performing, GO.

Brecon Beacons is a nice park. We enjoyed it and would like to go back. Tintern Abbey is fascinating and sad as well. You can only imagine what it was like before it was destroyed.

In a phrase: 3.5 days in South Wales was not enough. Going back is on ,y "to do" list. I pray I live long enough to make it back, at least once.

I have two places that call for a return: All of Wales and Paris.

Old May 19th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Where are you arriving from & departing to ?
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:06 AM

It would be easier to stay in four places!

Two nights days in Cardiff, two nights in Brecon or somewhere close to the Beacons, 2nights on the Gower and drive onto Pembrokeshire for the last 2-3 nights.

Personally I enjoy spending more time near the beach but if you're into hiking maybe stay an extra day near Brecon or if you have a busy itinerary for Cardiff use your extra day there.

I think reducing your daily drive time by staying in 4 places would be worth it otherwise you'd end up doing much more driving day to day.

If you must to stay in just 3 places then decide whether you want to spend more time in Cardiff or Brecon and choose one of these places for 4-5 nights. I'd suggest Cardiff and 'commute' to Brecon.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:25 AM
mot
Original Poster

Thanks for all excellent suggestions.
Caroline: I will be arriving from London and driving to Cardiff (and back to London at the end).
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM

In that case... I'd stay 3 nights in Cardiff, drive to Pembrokeshire via the Gower & Laugharne & stay in Tenby for 3 nights, drive back east via the valleys and stay somewhere like Abergavenny or Ross-on-Wye for 3 nights.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM

ttt