Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Before I am forced to kill my husband, can someone help with with a trip south of London?

Before I am forced to kill my husband, can someone help with with a trip south of London?

Aug 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

We are coming to the UK to celebrate my IL's 50th anniversay, and we have three nights in the trip to ourselves to get away. We will have two children, 4 yo and 16 mo (and wild with it). All of the festivities will be occuring in London and Winchester, so we want to find something sort of in between. DH wants to go to one location where we can not drive again. He mentions Hythe and Rye, but that is 2 to 3 hours each way, and with all the to-ing and fro-ing we are already doing, is about as appealing as a root canal.

Help? Please? He has shot down all my suggestions so far. FYI, we aren't really "beach" people. Cute little seaside town with history - Yes. Sitting in teh sand while sweating - NO.
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM

you want 3 days/nights south of London in one location - and not have a car?

There really aren't many places in that area I'd want to spend 3 nights unless I had a car to explore the surrounding countryside. Why not take the train to Bath and spend the time there car-less? The city is interesting enough to fill a couple of days for sure and then one day you could maybe take a day coach tour through teh Cotswolds or something.
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj, but Bath was shot down too. We've been there before, and he didn't want to go back. But you see my problem, yes? There are a few hsitoric houses, gardens, etc, but no "towns", per se. I just want to chuck it, quite frankly
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Why not you volunteer to do the driving??

There are MANY terrific small towns in Kent, Sussex, Hampshire that would make terrific bases for touring around w/i say 30 miles or so.
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, but I can't drive in the UK. DH loathes driving, it's a deal breaker for him.

I see my IL's guest room in my future...again
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:57 PM

OK - how about getting far out of town (and FAR away from teh IL's )

Take the train up north to York (only 2 hours from London). Plenty to fill a few days. Or even waaaay up north to Edinburgh (4+ hrs by train from London) and even more to fill a few days.
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM

OR - be wild and take the train to Paris
Aug 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM

Lots of people don't own cars in the south-east and get around ok on buses and trains. I would pick a nice little town on a good train line and go for 'day-trips' from there. Here's alink to the Kent public transport map. Train lines are dark blue and buses are green. http://kent.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/CACE.../countymap.pdf

Your kids would love the Romney. Hythe and Dymchurch railway http://www.rhdr.org.uk/rhdr/home_flash.html
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:07 AM

What about Windsor? I know it is near to London, but it is really its own town. You could stay there for a few nights and spend one day walking the town and visiting the palace, you could take the kids to Legoland one day if you are so inclined (can catch a bus from town) you could visit Eaton, and the riverside of Windsor is very nice, it has little fun-fair type rides for kids and you can rent little paddle boats.

I live in Richmond which is a 30 minute train from Windsor. You can hop a boat there and visit Hampton Court Palace or you can get to Kew Gardens in 10 minutes on public transport.

I think the Cotswolds would be lovely for 3 nights - we have done that with our little ones several times. But admittedly we always drive. I know people DO use public transport to get around there, however. I am not sure I would put my 4 and 1 year olds on a tour bus.

We have been to lots of castles/towns in SE England but generally by car. I did take my kids to Bournemouth by train - which I loved - but it is a beach town (although I can't imagine anyone sweating on the beach THIS summer).

I have to say with 3 nights, you can easily forget the 2 or 3 hour drive/train ride to get somewhere. Bring a portable DVD player for your kids. Have fun.
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:17 AM

I live in Kent and its a shame about the driving, as the best scenery/feel for the place would involve driving from one small quaint village to another, taking in the 'Garden of England' Scenery, with the famous Oast Houses etc, woodlands, rolling Downs... even I forget how lovely parts of Kent are until I have to drive somewhere!

I know how your DH feels though because we are not too happy 'driving on the wrong side' when we are away either.

Rye is a good day trip. You could try staying at the Mermaid Inn (famous for being very haunted)

Have you thought about the usual, Canterbury?

When is your trip? There are various festivities going on in the different regions. The Hop Festival in Faversham goes all weekend, with traditional Morris Dancing (Even ones dressed as Hells Angels), Bands playing in the street, Markets etc. That is the first weekend in September.
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:33 AM

Canterbury leapt into my mind too.

Or, as janis said, Paris.
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:45 AM

Unless you want to walk around a quaint little town at night why not just stay in London - it's the best place to be based if you want to do day trips to ANY (and a lot more) of the places mentioned by the previous posters.

You could even take the sleeper train to Scotland and have a day in Edinburgh or Glasgow
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Brighton maybe? You really need a car to appreciate Kent. I wouldn't stay in Hythe, though the coast along there is lovely and the RH&D railway would be great for the kids.
Brighton has lots going on and is easy to get to by train.

Other ideas are Oxford to the west, or go down beyond Winchester to Lymington in the New Forest, or to Poole.
Aug 11th, 2007, 05:16 AM

What about Salisbury? You could do a day trip or two by train or bus, and the town itself has things to see and is a nice place. It's not literally between Winchester and London, but it's not far away.
Aug 11th, 2007, 06:11 AM
ira

Hi W,

How about training to Cardiff for a couple of days? You could also visit Caerphilly.

Aug 11th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Think of the bright side. You could be the pilot for CSIondon
Aug 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM

An off the wall suggestion. Pick a town that you can do train or bus trips from, say Weymouth or Salisbury. Then for the kids and dad a visit to the village of Wool, by train, and a 5 minute taxi to the Tank Museum. Within a couple of miles is Monkey World located in Wareham. A rescue center. A short ride away is Portmouth for a visit to the neat Naval museum and the old woooden war ship the Victory. Great fun. Anyway, just a thought for something different.
Aug 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM

wilson:

I see where Ira (above) suggested Cardiff and Caerphilly Castle in South Wales...worth looking into.....Caerphilly is also known as the "leaning castle"...when you first approach you swear off drinking too much at lunch...yes, it leans! Great photo ops. Cardiff is perhaps the least tourist-visited bigger city in the UK...we spent a few days there several years back (when the pound was much more reasonable!)....train service is pretty frequent.

Stu T.
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Forget it...I say just kill your husband!
Aug 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure I see the problem here - what is wrong with Winchester itself ? it is only an hour from London by train, it is relatively easy to access Southampton, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Portsmouth and Brighton by train.

Between that lot you should have enough to do for months, let alone days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO