Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

South of France or South of Italy in October.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking to spend a week or 10 days in Europe for our 25th anniversary on the beginning of October. Our interest is in photography, good food, sightseeing... Where should we go - South of France or South of Italy (Amalfi coast?). I won't mind to rent a car and drive. I understand that Europe is not cheap, but I would like to keep expenses under control. Please send me your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you all!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's not warm in October in the South of France and alot of restaurants are closed..
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM

I spent 10 days in the South of France at the end of September & early October. The weather was lovely - not hot but certainly pleasant. (We went swimming one day in the Mediterranean, to give you a sense.) We started in Lyon, spent time in Venasque (near Avignon) and ended in Cassis (just to the east of Marseille). Things had slowed down by the first week in October, but restaurants were still open. I loved that there weren't as many tourists, so would recommend this time of year. (Can't comment on later in October of course.)
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM

I've been to both several times at the beginning of October and had weather warm enough to swim and sunbathe every time. Maybe I got lucky. It's the most beautiful time of year to go to either place, IMO. As a general rule, those places that are going to shut down for the season do so sometime between October 15 and the end of the month, and then reopen right after Easter, but it's not a limiting factor by any stretch. I was in a teensy town in Umbria for two weeks in October two years ago and nothing at all closed down there or in any nearby towns.

I can't pick for you - they're both lovely - just wanted to say it's a fabulous time of year to visit, generally.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM

If you want drop dead photo ops then the Amalfi coast is heaven. Also, warmer in Oct.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Both are amazing, and we've had great weather in October (at least early October) virtually every time we've visited. (I agree with the earlier poster that it's the best time of year). You really can't go wrong with either. I personally love the South of France more than almost anywhere on Earth, and spending a leisurely few days wandering the Cote d'Azur and/or Provence (or the Languedoc) would be a great, romantic trip. Maybe fly or train in to Avignon, rent a car there to explore the hill towns of the Luberon (Gordes, Menerbes, Lourmarin), then wander down to Cassis or Antibes, or even shoot West to Collioure for a bit of Spanish influence. Wonderful.

That said, for a photographer, the Amalfi is probably more dramatic (particularly if you couple it with a stop in Pompeii first, and/or a trip out to Capri). And I actually think the food is better there than in Southern France -- the Italians just do seafood (and mozzarella and pasta ...) so incredibly well.

Sorry if this isn't helping you, but it's sure making me happy. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM

We spent 2 weeks in Provence in October last year and had great weather. Had a pool at our Gite and swam and also visited Cassis and swam in the Ocean, current warm.

I agree it was a great time of year for the south of France not too many tourists and we didn't find any restaurants closed. Such beautiful villages and countryside.

Would definitely go that time of year again
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Where was your gite aussie? I was in the Luberon one late october and it was cold and the mistral was fierce and most restaurants closed mid September.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:23 AM

Mimi -

We have 10 restaurants on our "Favorites" list and not a single one closes before November - in fact, all of them are open all winter with usually a 4-8 week break somewhere along the way. Can't think of any restaurant at all in the area which closes in September - that is still very much busy season in Provence...

-Kevin
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 06:21 AM

If I were choosing between the two, I'd say South of France. Italy has my heart but I think there may be a tad more to do and see in France.

We stayed in Aix (see my TR-Provence Sandwich-if you are interested) and saw a great deal by bus and tour but if you have a car, you can pack a lot more in. Hotel where we stayed had pool heated by warm springs and had parking.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 06:37 AM

I have been to both in Oct.
Italy may be a bit warmer. It is the perfect time to travel and you cant go wrong with either one IMO.

May be easier to drive in south of France. Alot of people are afraid to drive the Amalfi. I have driven it and had no problems.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 06:54 AM

I would pick southern Italy, better weather and thus better photographs, more dramatic scenery. Though it's hard to be more scenic than the Cote d'Azur.

You don't need a car for the Amalfi coast. In addition to Capri and Pompeii, you could do excursions to Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Paestum (well-preserved Greek temples just south of the AC) and Naples. All by public transportation.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM

kevin, my October trip was long ago and many places were closed.The bistro du Paradou closed in September . Is it opened now in October? I heard it changed hands?
That October did it for me. The winds were fierce but I must say it hit once in August when I was in Avignon.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Mimi -

Maybe the season is getting longer and longer each year ??

No idea about the Bistro du Paradou - never been...

-Kevin