Search

South Germany & North France

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Germany & North France

Hello,
I am leaving the country for the first time and staying for the month of June with a couple in Germany about an hour from Stuttgart. Then, for the month of July, i will be splitting time between a family in Paris and then one in Versailles.

My question is: I don't have much money, but what are some things that i just have to do there, being it is my first time?
I'm not a big city fan; i'm looking forward to walking around villages and tasting food and drink.
Experiencing the culture and people is important to me because i am of German and French decent (i'm also Swiss; i'd like to go to Switzerland if it isn't too expensive)

Thanks for your time!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM

Redfish,

Look for things that are either free, or close to free. I believe that Paris offers free admission to museums on the first Saturday (this if from memory, and it might be Sunday) of the month.

You can stroll the grounds of Versailles for free.

If you're being fed, mostly, your largest costs will be transportation. Check the various train prices. Start with SCNF and go from there.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to fodors.

Which country are you leaving for the first time?

Stuttgart, you have to walk in the black forest, try a summer luge (I think there is one down there), try the local wine and beer, take a modern train (ICE if possible), the local car museums, a major medievel cathedral (Ulm's is very good).

In France I think the important thing to do is to chat to people in the shops, realise how much time customers take in choosing their food, so go to the vegtable market with Madam and soak up the atmosphere of any market.

In Paris, walk in the big open gardens, if you have to pay for a museum visit the d'orsay but look out for churches to visit (normally free),

Finally set yourself some rules, eat everything, try every wine, keep notes. In the future you may decide to not eat certain foods and it is useful to know why and when you first had it and what has changed, how it is prepared etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
p/rouge,

on the first sunday of the month, most Paris museums are free. ok, there will be a lot of other people there too, but it might be a good time to see some of the more minor ones. if you are going to pay, try to go on late-night openings when most people will have left. and many things are free - many of the museums, gardens like the Luxembourg, walking along the chemin verte or the canal de st. martin, the churches - google is your friend in this.

and if you really want to save money, do NOT order a soft drink at a table outside a cafe or bar - that is the most expensive way of having a drink that i know. [apart from sitting in san Marco in Venice when the orchestras are playing].
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:57 AM

I second the Ulm cathedral!! Ulm is a lovely place to walk around and along the river. You can easily walk every place (you want to go) from the train station. As far as drinking is concerned, carry your water bottle with you and fill it at home. Have a great time.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Yes, transportation is my main concern. I'm considering buying a eurail pass, but of course i'll still need to buy extra tickets for the metro and little village trains that the eurail pass doesn't cover(correct?). Oh man, the trains are expensive!

Rastaguy: What is SCNF?
BilboB: I'm from the US, about 2 hours from New York City.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Before you buy any rail pass study up on trains on this site:

www.seat61.com

Trains are not expensive here but you need to understand what types of trains operate here (local, regional, intercity) and that on some trains (longer distance ones) prices are substantially cheaper when you book ahead (like, 3 months ahead).

Practice learning about trains in France using the site www.tgv-europe.com. Just enter some journeys that might interest you with differing dates to compare prices. If you get bumped to the RailEurope site enter a country like Antarctica or some other country as your ticket collection country until you stop getting redirected to the RailEurope website. The TGV and Intercité trains are usually the trains where you save money booking in advance.