Reload this Page >

sorry, what is a troll?

Search

sorry, what is a troll?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:00 AM
dave

sorry, what is a troll?

sorry, please dont get yourselves into a frenzy over definitions etc, <BR>but can someone explain to me the meaning of Troll. <BR> <BR>Thanhyou.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Rex

A troll is a message (or more precisely the author of a message) posted to incite mud-slinging, zinging or poison-darted responses, often from opposing points of view. <BR> <BR>A clumsy troll simply asks an inflammatory question - - like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, or maybe like yelling "Help, there's a Nazi molesting my little sister in the back row of this theater - - let's all lynch him". <BR> <BR>The cleverest of trolls asks a question which makes it difficult to distinguish - - is the questioner simply this naive, stupid or prejudiced (but genuine)? or a troll seeking to stir up trouble - - perhaps asking a question like "I know you can get into the Louvre for free the fourth sunday of every month. But do you have to pay extra to see the Sistine Chapel while you're there? and can I wear a tube top?" <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Dave. Good question because I had not heard the word troll used in the way it is used on this forum until I started using Fodors regularly. <BR> <BR>The use of the word troll in English is one of those terms that has a variety of meanings as you have undoubtedly concluded. One meaning of the term relates to fishing. A person can troll for fish by trailing a line with fish hooks and bait behind the boat. Another meaning of troll applies to singing. Trolling in that context is used to describe a full, rolling voice. <BR> <BR>The term is also used in Scandinavian folklore to reference a supernatural creature who is sometimes friendly and sometimes mischievous that lives under bridges and in caves. <BR> <BR>The use of the term troll on this forum is not found in many standard American dictionaries. For example it does not appear in the 3rd edition of the American Heritage College Dictionary or in the Random House Dictionary of the English Language, unabridged edition. <BR> <BR>What the term troll means here is that someone asks a false question just to stir up controversy. The author picks a subject that is certain to get an emotional reaction and thereby touch off a lively discussion. In some instances, it is a very valid teaching method to stimulate class discussion. <BR>On this forum I sometimes wonder why people do it. Once explanation is that they have a school assignment to write a paper on a given subject. The author of the troll knows that many people who contribute to this forum are very opinionated and will jump on anything. So the troller can get some ideas for his or her paper without having to do very much. <BR>I think others just like to see if they can stir up a good verbal exchange. And still others just don't have much to do, so they are out have a little fun by seeing if they can write a troll that stirs up controversy. <BR> <BR>A lot of these trollers remind me of a dog I once knew in a small town where my grandmother lived. He was without doubt a very smart dog. He was sort of an aloof animal, except toward his human friends. He would make the rounds of the neighborhood and bang on people's doors with his paw so they could come out and pet him or give him something to eat. One day this dog was sitting in front of a store watching a large pack of dogs out in the street following a female around. <BR>So he ran into the middle of the pack and bit some dog on the rear. That of course started a massive dog fight in the middle of the street. The smart dog ran back into the store and sat in the doorway watching the fight. I think you could say he was a troll, dog style.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:26 AM
marco

A typical, albeit rather lame, example is the "beggars in Italy" starting message and some of the replies that it got ...

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:42 AM
dave

thanks for the reply guys.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Gerry

As Bob stated it comes from fishing. The fisherman(troller) dangles a lure in front of the fish(you and me). The lure is all shinny and a very innocent and tasty looking morsel. But, there is a big nasty hook inside. If we take the lure we will get hooked and hurt. <BR> <BR>The troller, in our case(on the forum), is in this for the sport. He/she maintains his position as a total if naive innocent. Meanwhile, the fish(us) tear themselves apart fighting over his/her lure. He/she wins this game by making our otherwise normal forum contributors look like raving idiots and usually gets them all mad at eachother. <BR>Does this sound like a positive contribution to our travel experience? <BR> <BR>Once burned twice shy and now anonymous, <BR> <BR>Gerry <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Jack

Hey Bob, I really enjoyed your "trolling, dog style" story. <BR>Apt, humorous, memorable and succinct. <BR>Too bad there isn't a Reader's Digest condensed version of the best bits from Fodor's. I'd nominate your little story for entry.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 11:54 AM
known2

What's ironic is that the people who feel compelled to flame the troller send the message to the top each time. If they would controll themselves it would quickly sink to oblivion- very dissappointing for a troller! Almost as bad are the ones who give a "straight" answer to a troll, this is not nearly as satisfying as a flame. Happy fishing!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:01 PM
They Keep

Look at Sindi's (AKA Sandi?) post about wearing the Flodor's pin in Eastern Europe for an obvious example of a troll.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:27 PM
mimi taylor

They all forgot to say that the trolls never reveal their true email. A troll is someone who takes up space and is not truly interested in helping posters with their travel plans.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Well, maybe

I dunno, They Keep. That thread is so obvious it's more like a group joke. I don't think anyone could mistake it for serious, which is part of a true troll.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Will

In Canada we refer to them as "shit disturbers."