Reload this Page >

Scottish Highlands

Search

Scottish Highlands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Candace

Scottish Highlands

Will be traveling to Scotland early September. Must go to Edinburgh for some family business, but then would like to Tour the Highlands - by train, bus or car or guided tour? Will have 5+ days? Suggestions?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Bob

Scotland is easy to tour by car. Buy a good guide book, maps etc.. and take off.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Thyra

I agree with the above. We toured the Highlands several years ago and really enjoyed having our own car... so lovely and the freedom to stop at viewpoints and simply stare at the amazing scenery for as long as we wanted. All you need is a great map, and maybe some additional printed material, good guide book or history book to help you make the most of your journey.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:31 AM
chuck

Candace, <BR> <BR>Rent a car and drive, as suggested above. I found the roads to be very good (even the single-track ones on Skye), and Scottish drivers were competent and courteous. <BR> <BR>Also, if you haven't already, do a search of this site using *Scotland* or *highlands* You'll find quite a few good comments, especially the thread entitled *Touring the Highlands* posted on 7/5/01. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Sheila

Candace <BR> <BR>There are options on all of the above. Budget? I saw a great article in one of our newspapers about a guy who runs a vintage bus tour round the Highlands. i posted a web link to the page of the article. I think it was Prestige Tours if you want to do a search. Much classier than usual bus tours. <BR> <BR>Or there are little tours run bu backpacky people which are meant to be good. Rabbie's or Haggis are 2. <BR> <BR>A friend of mine does driver based tours. You'll find him onm www.caledonian-heritage-tours.co.uk, or there are similar people on the Internet Guide to Scotland page www.scotland-info.co.uk. <BR> <BR>I've done a couple of word documents telling people where they can go by train, which I'd send if you want them. <BR> <BR>Or do like the others have said and hire a car. You should read Micki's post about her experience at the beginning of May first though. <BR> <BR>Do come back if you would like more information

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Candace

Thanks for all the replys. I am a little hesitant to drive, but see that as the best route for the Highlands. I will be traveling solo. Have been to England, Scotland and Ireland 6 times, but have not been above Inverness. I am not a back packer, so good recommendations for B&B's and such would be appreciated!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Candace

Shelia - thanks - more information would be appreciated - am new at this posting thing - just discovered today while looking for more information, sorry.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Jackie

Candace, <BR> <BR>Do a search on "driving tours of the Scottish HIghlands". I posted my first request for advice for a trip I am beginning 7/1l. Also search on "to see or not to see in Scotland" by Micki. The two threads were more helpful than all the guidebooks. I now have a good sense of exactly where I want to go and how much time to allot.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Jody

If you ARE going north of Inverness this time, check out the Highfield House (B&B) in Dornoch. Their website is www.highfieldhouse.co.uk. It's a regular stop for my golfer husband, and I find it charming, too!