Sorrento to Positano

Search

Sorrento to Positano

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento to Positano

I will be staying in Sorrento on the last couple of days in April ( Monday or Tuesday) and won’t have a whole day to commit to the AC. I was hoping to possibly get to Positano. From what I am seeing on the web, it shows it’s only about a 30 minute drive from Sorrento. I was wondering if would be possible or worth taking a taxi or private driver down at around 3:00 pm and maybe have dinner in Positano before returning to Sorrento at maybe 6:00pm? Is it really only about a 30 minute drive with traffic? Can I get a taxi on demand from Sorrento and return from Positano? Or should I book a private driver in advance? I found a private driver for €200 round trip. Would a taxi be cheaper?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:09 PM

IMHO, the AC is all about the natural beauty and the views. Looking at Positano from the water is amazing. The slower coastal drive is beautiful and views from higher up places in Positano are gorgeous. Of course one needs to eat and a place with gorgeous views might work. Otherwise, if you don’t have time to actually see the area, I can’t see taking a more inland route just to go for dinner. Perhaps if you would share your plan for the rest of your time in Sorrento, arrival, departure, etc., someone could suggest something different that would work better. Traffic could be fine in April, but you never know - 30 minutes or two hours. If you had a day to explore the area and a driver could do a tour with you, I would go for it. Just a quick trip for dinner, I certainly would not. You might possibly take a ferry down the coast to Positano. Walk a lot. Take a car service or taxi back. Have dinner back in Sorrento. Dinner is not until later anyway.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could get the bus from Sorrento to Positano - or Amalfi or other towns. Cheap and easy. You could get a taxi back or use the bus again. Italians (Europeans) tend to eat later, you could find somewhere with a view, have a drink and some snacks or stay later for a meal. There are some fabulous coastal views from Sorrento, maybe check out what's there and skip the trip down the coast. I'm not suggesting eating here but to give you an idea of views -

https://www.bristolsorrento.com/
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 02:06 AM

As above. You can chose between coastal ferry, bus or taxi. Dinner is usually served after 8pm. but there may be exceptions for areas with tons of not Italian tourists.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 02:21 PM

We had a wonderful private driver take us from Sorrento on an all-day tour of the Amalfi Coast, which I know you don't have time for, but I recommend him no matter how little time you have because he is extremely familiar with the area, knows the parking lot owners and restaurant owners and can get around easily and be a tour guide in the meantime. I believe he is a Sorrento native, and he recommended a dinner restaurant there we loved (we seemed to be the only Americans) and thanks to him we maximized, and greatly enjoyed, the time we had seeing the Amalfi Coast. He's on Trip Advisor -- Francesco Marrapese Tours.
Old May 17th, 2024, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who replied. I figured I would follow up to tell what we ended up doing. I booked a private driver with Daytrip in advance. I booked transportation from Naples to Sorrento with a 2.5 hour stop-over in Positano. It worked out perfect. It was a bit pricey, but it was really nice. We took the train down from Rome on the 9:30ish train to Naples. Our driver from Daytrip was waiting for us at the Naples train station around 10:45. He drove us, with some commentary, down to Positano, where he dropped us off for 2.5 hours. On the way, we stopped at a scenic outlook for pictures and he treated us with a lemon slushy from the stand at the lookout. I’m not sure about exact times, but I think we arrived in Positano around 1:00. We got lunch and did a little shopping. He picked us back up where he dropped us off and we arrived in Sorrento around 4:15. It cost €305, but if you are short on time, it is worth it. It was easy, convenient, and saved a lot of time. I did see a row of taxi’s in Tasso Square in Sorrento but I didn’t see available taxi’s in Positano.
Old May 17th, 2024, 07:36 PM

I am glad it all worked out - it sounds like you had a wonderful time.