Search

Sorrento Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento Honeymoon

Hello all,
I am trying to plan my honeymoon for the beginning of June 2009. We are flying into Rome and then plan on heading to Sorrento that day. Is there anywhere else close to Rome and along the coast we should be considering staying at with easy train access?

We will be staying for 5 nights and after this we are backpacking for 25 days.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a good hotel for maximum 225 euros a night for a double, cheaper is always better as we are college students and paying for this ourselves! We want a balcony and would enjoy a jacuzzi and/or seaview but I can't find one in our price range.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Try the Settimo Cielo, which is a 10 minute walk into town with amazing views. We had a double with french doors that opened onto a balcony and they have a pool. Rate includes daily breakfast. We stayed there in 2006 when my husband and I got engaged and would stay there again. I think they are still within your price range. Congratulations, by the way.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Have you checked tripadvisor for hotels? I just went on there and found several hotels in Sorrento in your price range for next June.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Haven't been here, but know that between Rome & Naples is Gaeta and Formia. Perhaps a 1st night in either or these towns?

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/lazio/gaeta.htm

Heading to Sorrento on Day 1 means you'll need to take the train from airport (FCO ?) into Rome's Termini station. Then continue onward to Naples (about 2 1/2 hrs on faster trains); and finally , the Circumvesviana (a local commuter train) to Sorrento.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually the fast train from Rome to Naples takes 90 minutes not 2 1/2 hours.

There are a couple of hotels just out of town (many have free shuttles to town) which are quieter than being in town. Since they are higher up, they have better views too. You might check the Aminta.
http://www.aminta.it/sorrento_rooms.php

Another one I noticed that had shuttle and views was Grand Vesuvius.
http://www.vesuviosorrento.com/english/camere.htm

It's hard to suggest without knowing which ones you've priced already. I think many closer in (Bellevue Syrene, Bel Air, etc.) will be beyond your price range or won't have views.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys so far!

I know Sorrento will take awhile to get to. Our plane will arrive about 8am. We hope to head straight to Naples, have a meal and walk to downtown, then take the ferry to Sorrento.

I am certainly open to nice towns along the coast before Naples for the first 2 nights and then spend 3 in Sorrento. Gaeta looks nice! I had never heard of it before now.

I've tried Tripadvisor but there are so many hotels I was hoping to find somebody who had stayed in one.
Settimo Cielo and Aminta both look lovely and in our price range, thanks! I will take a better look at those after classes today.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Some of the towns along the coast between Rome and Naples have been affected by the garbage crisis. You do know the fast trains between Rome and Naples do not travel the coast route? You would most likely want a car for that route.

The Sorrento tourism website has a hotel map you can mouse over to find the names/locations of various hotels. I was on the coast two weeks ago and they were selling a daily pass for the Sita buses for 6E. I'm not sure they will still be doing this next year, but if they are, buy at your hotel as the tobacco shops near the train station were usually sold out.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Forgot the link.
http://www.sorrentotourism.com/eng/index.html

Touring Naples and then taking a ferry to Sorrento will require luggage storage and Naples train station is known for pickpocket problems. You would have to store your luggage, tour Naples, retrieve your luggage, get transportation to the port (the ferries do not run late)and then catch the ferry. I think a better idea would be to check in to your hotel in Sorrento and do a day trip to Naples one day. The CV train takes just 70 minutes and the cost is about 4E or you could ferry over.