Sorrento advice

Sep 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Sorrento advice

Going to Sorrento in early November. Staying in Sorrento with daily trips. Any travel advice. How can I bring back wine, cellos, and oils? Have learned a lot from this site.
Sep 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM

Buy a case of wine and ship it home. Otherwise you'll need to somehow pack it in your checked luggage, which is risky to say the least.

Be sure to visit Capri (and Anacapri) and Positano, of course.

Enjoy the Amalfi coast!
Sep 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM

Shipping a case of wine will likely add $10 or more to each bottle. There's plenty of good Italian wine available in the US. If you're going to ship or bring anything, bring the olive oil. It's harder to find good selections here.

Sorrento is a very pleasant town. Plenty to do at night walking around the shops. Check out www.slowtrav.com for the Sorrento web cam.
Sep 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Jan57

I would agree with buongiorno and skip the wine. On numerous past trips to Europe we always brought back wine, but this past summer on our trip to France and Italy we didn't bother. Enjoyed it greatly while we were there, but brought back olive oil, tapenade and lots of pesto and some pottery. Don't know now what you can carry on.

Sep 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hi PATRAVELERS: I just returned from Sorrento on Sept 7 and it was great.

Do you mwan limoncellos when you referred to "cellos"? Rather than pay high shipping costs to have a merchant ship a purchase home for you, I bring bubble wrap and even socks in my luggage. Then when you buy those small, souvenir size bottles of limoncello, olive oil, glass items, etc you can put them inside a sock and/or bubblewrap them and put them in-between your clothes in the suitcase. This has worked every single time for the last 5 years with nothing broken.
As the others have said, skip buying wine. Get items more local to the Amalfi Coast region (limoncello, olive oil, lemon soaps/products, etc).

In terms of places to see, I agree with Gekko, definitely take a ferry boat over to Capri and see both Capri town and then take an orange bus over to Anacapri. I would even suggest riding the funicular up Monte Solaro to see the island from the top of the summit. Breathtaking and the weather will be superb in early November (and no crowds!) You might also consider taking the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to see Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) which is remarkably well-preserved and far less frequented than Pompeii. Very interesting place to see, with the modern city literally built right on top of it. Dependent on how much time you have, go to InfoSorrento, near Piazza Tasso. It is a tourist info center that offers tours of Mt. Vesuvius (1/2 day on Mondays only, ~22 e) and also a Thursday only "Green Mini Cruise" (all day, 25 euros) to the islands of Ischia and Procida. I have done both and they were fantastic ways to explore other interesting things in and around the Amalfi Coast.
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM

We just got home from the Sorrentine peninsula on Monday. We brought some homemade limoncello back in a smaller bottle that hubby wrapped in a sock and stuffed in his shoe, then packed in the tote bag we checked. It did not break, luckily. I guess for once a size 12 foot was good!
Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM

HappyCheesehead: You are lucky the TSA agents at the airport didn't confiscate your limoncello! They are not supposed to allow any liquids on in carry-ons. Upon leaving Italy and going back through Munich airport, I had to give up my Purel anti-bacterial lotion gel, as well as my Listerine breath spray, if you can believe it! Maybe you got lucky your bottle was little and it was double wrapped, so to speak, then tucked inside a shoe so maybe didn't pick up on the Xray screen.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM

"...packed in the tote bag we checked..."

It's okay to have liquides in checked luggage.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Ooops! Missed the 'checked' part, I read 'tote bag' which one normally carries on and thought it was a carry on!
Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM

We were a bit worried about it, even tho it was in checked baggage - we were not sure homemade hootch is allowed to be brought in! You know, no tax stamp, etc. I had to give up my little tube of hotel hand lotion at Chrles DeGaulle, but I expected that.
Sep 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. One more question, do I pack a coat or lightweight jacket for Sorrento in early November?
Sep 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I think a light-weight jacket should suffice. You won't be needing a coat until winter time (Dec, Jan).
Sep 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Hi - we will be staying in sorrento in mid-November. We hope to go to pompeii from there...we also would like to go to Capri. How long is the hydrofoil there? It leaves from Sorrento, correct? and how long would we like to stay in Capri? simply the afternoon, lunch and some shopping? Thanks!
Sep 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Sorrento to Pompeii is very easy. You take the Circumvesuviana train to the "Pompeii Scavi" stop and walk across the street to the entrance. Pompeii is huge, allow enough time to see everything (you will need all day). Audio guides in English are available at the ticket office.

Sorrento to Capri is easy. Dependent on where you are staying in Sorrento, you take the local bus down to the Marina. Caremar is the most common boat over, tickets cost 7,80 euros, the trip takes ~45 mins. There are returns from Capri at 5, 6 pm so it allows the full day over there. That give you enough time to explore the Blue Grotto, even take an-around-the-island tour (11 euros), a bus over to Anacapri, see Monte Solaro, etc and still have time to spare. Famous "insalata caprese" was invented on Capri (tomatoes, mozzarella, basil drizzled with olive oil, salt) and is one of my favs. Check out this link for information on the boats and on Capri: http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM

THANKS SO MUCH!
Lastly, and hotel advice?
We would like to take advantage of some "off-season" rates! any suggestions? thanks
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:42 PM

I stay at the Hotel Lorelei e Londres, Via Califano, 12 at 95 euros for a sea view double room, includes breakfast (Tel 011.39.081.807.3187
Fax 011.39.081.532.9001) ask for Sabrina and she will take care of you. Rooms # 14, 11, 12 and 13 have the Gulf of Napoli as your view with a large, walk-out terrace. The hotel has its own restaurant and there is also an elevator that takes you down to the sea level where they have their own private beach area. You do have to pay a couple euros for rental of a beach chair/equipment that can be added to your room charge. The Hotel Lorelei is within walking distance (7-10 mins) to the Circumvesuviana train station. To get down to the Marina Piccola, you can catch a local bus (1 euro) from the Piazza Tasso that will take you down the hill, where you catch the daily ferries to the Amalfi Coast towns (Amalfi, Positano, etc) also Capri, Naples, etc. While the Lorelei is is not a grand-style luxury hotel and its appearance is a bit worn around the edges, it is a very comfortable, terrificly priced place that is family-owned. You can cut and paste this link with a photo of the place:
http://www.davearlington.com/S-Italy/Italyframeset.html

I was just in Sorrento 3 weeks ago with my 6 year old and this time we tried another property, Hotel Mara, that is more like a pensione. It cost me 50 euros a night for a double room with bath. It was only 1 block away from the Hotel Lorelei e Londres and was comfortable. The family that owns the Hotel Mara is very nice and made us feel at home immediately. The Hotel Mara is another option if you are more restricted with your budget (as I was this time!).