self service laundry in Ireland

Sep 27th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

self service laundry in Ireland

I want to pack very light. Are self service laundry mats common?? I'll be in Dublin, Kinsale, Kilarney, Dingle.
Sep 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM

BudgetQueen, I've never found self-service but have always found a laundry to drop off my clothes in the morning and pick them up in the evening nicely folded and clean. You might look at LonelyPlanet and see what they have to say. Good luck, Joan
Sep 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM

We just returned from Ireland and we dropped clothes off at a Laundry in Dingle. The laundry was in a main area. It cost about $35 Euro for clothing for two people for a week.
Sep 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Hello--we found both types, self-serve and drop-off (Kenmare and Donegal, respectively), plus doing some hand laundry overnight in the B&B's. We did note other laundry services in various areas during our 3-week trip, so perhaps you will have some luck. Have a wonderful trip!
Sep 28th, 2006, 02:27 AM

They exist in Dublin but you need to tell me a location.

Sep 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM

I always pack light. Why go to laudry mats? So much hassel. Just leave them with your B&B host or hotel service. I stayed at B&B's in Ireland, paid for only detergent + utility. Cheap & quick!
Sep 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM

2fly, I've always found having the hotel do my laundry more expensive. At times I have when I'm in a rush. Taking them to a cleaners or laundry is usually about half the price.
BudgetQueen, I always travel with little packets of woollite and do small pieces in the sink and have them dry on the heaters. I've also done all my laundry in a sink and tub if I am in a place long enough. To be honest, the last few trips I've been too lazy so I've looked for a laundry.
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Chatham, I agree with you that hotel service is expensive. When I am on vacation, I always want to see more, and don't have the time to look for laudry mats. (It is sort of like drinking beer in a local pub or in the hotel room.)
In Irish B&B's, it worked out great. Also rooms in Europe are small. There may not be much space to dry your laudry.
Sep 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM

2fly, I take a couple of regular hangers and clothes pens and hang them in the shower. But as I said earlier, I've gotten lazy and use laundries or the hotel. It does take up precious time to do your own.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM

I just got back from 2 weeks in Ireland, I packed for one and did laundry halfway through in Kenmare. I also did a load in Kilkenny near the end because I mailed home the clothes I brought due to over-zealous shopping and I didn't want them to ferment on the trip home! I paid 10 euro in Kenmare and 13 in Kilkenny. Yes it was ridiculously expensive for 5 shirts and 5 pairs of socks but well worth it to me to have clean clothes and not have to tip toe around wet clothes in the bathroom! I never had a problem finding a laundromat and I did see them when I wasn't planning on doing laundry. Oh, and mailing my clothes home cost 16 euro, which I didn't think was bad and much cheaper than buying a second piece of luggage and having to haul it around with me!