Somma Lombarda to Venice

Search

Somma Lombarda to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somma Lombarda to Venice

Hi Everyone. I was a very regular on these forums about 100 years ago when the internet was new. It is great to see it still exist.
I have the most specific question ever. I have never been to Italy and have a week on my own prior to a conference in Italy. I land late at night in Milan and want to travel to Venice the next day. I am fine with simple, cheap hotels.
I booked a delightful single room in a hostel with amazing reviews and beautiful photos in the tiny town of Somma Lombardo. I chose this because it is only 5 miles from the airport and offer a shuttle. The problem is that it seems complicated to get from here to Venice. I need several train changes and would need a shuttle to the station as well.
I have 2 questions: 1. Is Somma Lombarda worth seeing? Should I spend an hour or so before I leave and see it? Or am I just wasting my Venice time? 2. Is the savings on accommodation the struggle with 3 trains to get to Venice worth? Should I just book a much more expensive, much less exciting looking hotel close to the station in Milan and simplify the trip to Venice?
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Milan centrale to St Lucia (the one you want) needs one change, some trains also make you change at Mestre which is an easy final 2/5km trip

Somma L has a castle (check opening hours and days)

I've stayed local to Centrale for 5 days, long enough to be on nodding aquintance with some of the pimps

Given that it is late at night I'd stick with your plan
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 01:22 AM

Venice bound trains start at Milano Centrale railway station.
Milano Centrale can be reached by
direct bus from Milan Malpensa airport T1 and T2, departure every 30 min from 6am until 2.30am (1 hr journey)
direct train from Milan Malpensa airport T1 and T2. departure every 30 min from 5.37 until 23.37
direct train from Gallarate, dp 5.59, 6.59, 7.59, 9.59, 13.59, 15.59, 17.59, 19.59, 21.59
Gallarate is a short 25 EUR taxi ride from the airport, Hotels Astoria and Nuova roataia are close to the railway station.

If you want to avoid too many train changes, you best sleep in a hotel with free airport shuttle and reach Milan C by train or bus from the airport.
Otherwise sleep at a hotel a few steps from Milan C railway staton and airport bus terminal (like Hotel Michelangelo).
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you

Thank you both. Both very useful information. Thanks for the validation to stay in Somma Lombardo and thanks for the lots and lots of train and bus links to get to Central. I was also thinking I should go back to the airport and go to Venice from there.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 09:53 PM

You comment “go back to the airport and go to Venice from there”.That sounds like you are considering a flight, not a great idea.
Train is better, and the view as you exit the station in Venice is like nothing else on earth. The Grand Canal is before your eyes.