Reload this Page >

Italy - Venice: Carrying luggages for the streets of Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 04:53 AM
Ieda

As don't have car (obvious!) in Venice. How to arrive to the hotels for the roads of Venice carrying luggages? Because some hotels are distant of the train stations. <BR> <BR>Ieda <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 05:42 AM
Dona

When you arrive at the train station (which, by the way, is breathtaking), you can either take a vaporetto (a continuously running system of water buses) or a private water taxi (which is expensive but if there are enough people may be worth it - since it may be able to get you closer to your hotel). <BR> <BR>Giving the hotel a quick phone call may be a good idea - they can probably help you decide...

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 05:47 AM
cheryl

And most importantly, travel light. You will probably take the vaporetto, since as I recall you are traveling alone. In Venice you will have to carry your luggage to your hotel, so make sure you can handle all of it on your own before you go.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 09:07 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Ieda <BR>Here is a 3rd option, Portabagagli, <BR>using a porter to carry your luggage. <BR>Stands are at the Accademia, Ferrovia, <BR>Pza Roma, Rialto, S.Geremia, S. Marco <BR>and S. Moise. 1997 rates were <BR>At Pza Roma or Ferrovia, <BR>one item within Venice City 20,000ITL. <BR>two items within Venice City 30,000ITL. <BR>3 to 4 items within Venice 40,000ITL <BR>subsequent items, each 10,000ITL. <BR>Prices to Guidecca and Lido are higher. <BR>The best alternative is to pack light <BR>as you can and use wheeled luggage.. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL....

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 11:44 AM
Paulo

If you indeed are going to stay at the youth hostel in the Giudecca Island, you won't have any problems at all. Upon leaving Sta. Lucia train station and buying a 3-day vaporetto pass, just take the boat #82. The one that runs from your left to right is quicker but the itinerary is quite uninteresting. The one that runs from your right to left goes through the Canal Grande which is a much nicer introduction to Venice. You will get off at the Zitelle stop in the Giudecca island. The youth hostel will be about 100mts to your right. No big sweat. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 01:06 PM
eea

Dragging your luggage through Venice isn't all that much fun when you're doing it, but we find those memories to be among our fondest! What surprised us most on our first visit were the footbridges you are constantly climbing up, across and down the other side - another very good reason for travelling as light as possible - and dont forget those sensible shoes!

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 03:40 PM
Walter

Leda: If you have more than 1 bag you could leave the other at the "Luggage Storage" area at the train station. Just pack in one bag what you'll need while in Venice. Regards, Walter

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 03:08 AM
Mike Miller

Having just gone through this myself this month, I appreciate your concern but your biggest problem may be getting the luggage up the steps to your hotel/hostel. Ours hotel was on the top floor and we had to climb at least 80 steps to get there but the view was worth it!

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 01:39 PM
Diane

Go with the water taxi! I can't say this enough! We took the vaporetto to our hotel (It felt like it might sink at any moment and the venetians would just swim to shore like nothing happened- OK an exaggeration). <BR> <BR>What would you do at any major airport? The water taxi is about 100,000 lira translating to about $30???? Much worth my valuable time & energy epsecially if you arrive after dark as we did. <BR> <BR>The parking at Tronchetto was indeed safe. My in-laws left their new Benz convertible (just picked up in Germany) and our rental car was also fine. <BR> <BR>The Hotel Danieli was fantastic. One of the best on our trip. The shower certainly was. The best dinner we had was at the Hotel Europa & Regina! Both are Starwood hotels if you can convert points stay at one of them.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 02:09 PM
Beth

Actually, Diane, 100,000 lira translates to more like $55, And since the vaporetto cost 35,000 Lira to ride for 3 days, it seems like a worthwhile savings to me. I have to say, I'm usually one who springs for a cab from airports and such, but Venice has to have the easiest and most fun mass transit I've ever been on. As long as the luggage is not too massive you can do it, no problem!

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 05:38 AM
cheryl

I just want to reassure Ieda that as Beth says, taking the vaporetto is indeed very doable, as long as you don't overpack. As Ieda has talked of staying in hostels, not the Danieli, I can't imagine that a water taxi is in her budget, and Paulo, our Italy expert has agreed that vaporetto will be very easy. And the vaporetto is not only safe, but a beautiful way to see the city.

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 05:39 AM
cheryl

I just want to reassure Ieda that as Beth says, taking the vaporetto is indeed very doable, as long as you don't overpack. As Ieda has talked of staying in hostels, not the Danieli, I can't imagine that a water taxi is in her budget, and Paulo, our Italy expert has agreed that vaporetto will be very easy. And the vaporetto is not only safe, but a beautiful way to see the city.