Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Someone please help me decide. Morroco or Paris&Venice for honeymoon??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:34 PM
hjk

My fiance has left it up to me and I haven't been able to decide. Its been more than two weeks and I must start planning soon. We love Venice we both were in Italy 2 years ago and definately would love to go again but also I think Morroco would be interesting to visit. Anyone has visited these places and which would you recommend?? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated>

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Gerry

I would forget Morroco for a honeymoon. Not at all romantic. Very poor, very backward, very little to see and do for newleyweds. Lots of desert. Save it for a different trip.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:52 PM
James

You have got to be kidding about Morocco for your honeymoon! It was one of the poorest and dirtiest places, that we have ever been to. Very sad. I would recommend Southern Spain and her many beautiful small islands instead. I also love Venice, but not during July or August, when the canal can smell very foul at times. And Venice usually floods during rain season, November or so. So you really need to do more research, since this is such a special event. Check out your library, bookstore & travel agent for more info.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:31 AM
texasgirl

hjk, well, as always, it depends on what you want to do and see and whether you want a traditional honeymoon _ which would point to Paris and Venice, lovely and romantic cities. If you are interested in a little more of an adventure and something more unusual, I would pick Morocco. Yes, there is poverty, but there is also terrific architecture, food, music, art, culture and natural beauty. Also, the larger and more touristed cities, Fes, Marrakech, Essaouira, etc., do have some exquisite riads and hotels, so you could still have a luxurious stay. I love all your choices, but the destinations aren't at all the same, so you probably ought to decide what you really want to get out of this trip before deciding. good luck...

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:56 AM
clairoobscur

I can't answer to your dilemna, But I must stand for Morroco. <BR> <BR>Yes it's poor. What do you expect? It's a third world country. But there are worst places than Morroco from this point of view and poverty won't be thrown at your face at each step. <BR> <BR>Backward? What do you mean by "backward"? Once again, it's a third world country. But quite a modern one, with a lot of tourism, and you'll find everything for your convenience (hotels, ATMs, etc...). <BR> <BR>Very little to see???? This one let me amazed. There are tons of wonderful cities to visit with an extraordinary architecture . Did you heard of Fes, Marrackech, Essaouira, Safi? There are beautiful mountains,varied landscapes, and hords of tourists go there to visit the desert and the oasis. <BR> <BR>There's a moroccan culture, and even several ones : arabs, berbers, touaregs. There are great music, food (ever heard of couscous, tagine?), craftmanship (Inlaid-work furnitures, copper, jewels,whatever...). What about the souks? <BR> <BR>Finally, Morrocan people are wonderful, hospitables, helpful, friendly, generous... <BR> <BR>The two major drawbacks in Morroco are the hassling by faux-guide,various sellers, etc...in the most touristical towns, especially Tangiers and to a lesser extent Marrackech and the fact that men can be very forward with western women (according to what I read, since I'm a man, I didn't notice it). And another one : the temperature, especially in the south. Morocco is best to be avoided during summer. <BR> <BR>Perhaps it isn't the better choice for a honeymoon, but saying that Morroco is a crappy country with nothing to see is a nonsense. You could as well say that there's nothing to see in Paris and Venice.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:55 AM
cheryl

Can't believe you'd consider anywhere but Venice, given your ideas. Go to Morroco some other time. Romance is Venice without a doubt. Of course, Venice can be chilly and damp and empty in the winter months so you should consider when you plan to go.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 11:34 AM
zz-top

hjk: <BR> <BR>I'm an avid Italia-phile & so admittedly, my opinion is prejudiced in favor of Venice. And for a honeymoon, I think a delightful destination would be to fly into Venice for several days & then on to Paris (if you must!). Or just stay the whole trip in Italy! <BR> <BR>As several have mentioned, you need to consider the time of year and weather conditions. <BR> <BR>I agree that Morocco does sound interesting --- consider what you want from your honeymoon. An adventure? Relaxation to 'decompress' from the wedding? Hustle of the city? Or perhaps a seaside resort?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 12:19 PM
hjk

Thanks to everyone who has responded and with your help I have decided for us to go to Venice and Paris. I think it will also be a good trip to purchase things for our new home in Venice,such as linens, towels. etc. Thanks once again.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:07 PM
Beth Anderson

check this out: <BR> <BR>http://www.danheller.com/morocco.html <BR> <BR>I also think Venice anytime would be wonderful. I loved it this past January. PLus, you don't have the crowds of summer...

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:37 AM
Lydia

I have traveled to 73 countries in my life (and have been to Paris and Venice many times). One of my absolute favorite countries to travel in is Morocco. It's very exotic, spellbinding and exciting. If someone offered me a free trip to any of these 3 places tomorrow, I would definitely pick Morocco. The medinas are just fascinating, the music is hypnotic, the food is yummy and the people are most interesting.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:00 AM
Ursula

Another vote for Morocco. One of the most interesting countries I've visited (several times). My favourite town are Fès followed by Meknes and Rabat. <BR>Another favourite is Ouarzazate in the Atlas mountains and absolutely mystic. <BR>The food is among the best I've ever had. You need to choose good hotels though, because comfort can be very low in cheap places. <BR>As I gather, you made your descision already. But go to Morocco, if you have the occasion some time later. You'll love it.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:45 AM
andi

Another vote for Morocco at another time. The fact that you even considered it at all, for your honemoon no less, speaks of an adventurous spirit. Morocco is beautiful, fascinating, different and delightful. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. One caveat - don't go in the late fall. I was there this past November and found it uncomfortably cold in the desert at night, and hotels and restaurants, even pretty nice ones, were unheated. If you're like me and don't like huddling in layers of clothes to sleep or eat, go when it's a bit warmer. But do go. <BR> <BR>Have a great honeymoon; Venice and Paris sound like great choices to me. One