Some money questions...

Search

Some money questions...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some money questions...

We leave in 14 days!!!!! 7 weeks in France.

My husband has asked me the following..(he knows I ask you)

1. should we get euros at Thomas Cook before we leave?..or wait till we get to the airport at CDG? If we get it at TC, how much?..about.

2. Re traveler checks in euros. Where do we get these?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Read the thousands of prior posts and don't do either.
M
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Your local bank may be a better bet than Thomas Cook.

We ALWAYS acquire sufficient euros before leaving home to get us to our first destination (water, taxi, coffee). After an overnight flight, it's just worth it to us to head straight to the taxi stand and not worry about finding and ATM, hoping it's operational, or finding that our transaction cannot be processed because our bank happens to be offline for overnight processing.

For traveler's checks in euros (Why do you need them? Where do you plan to use them?) if you're AAA members, go there.

If one, or both of you (better each of you), has an ATM card, you'll be easily able to withdraw euros (at a better rate) once there. In the highly unlikely event that your ATM card(s) prove useless, you'll need a credit card along with cash advance credit available. Though, travelers checks would be more prudent, if not as practical.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Our bank told us they can't get us euros...that we should go to Thomas Cook. I will go back and read the previous threads.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Listen to Mikemo, you don't have to do either. Travelers checks are a waste of time if you've got an ATM card. As djkbooks said, all you really need is enough Euros to get to your first destination and even that....what today cannot be purchased with a credit card or ATM? Just make sure 1) Your ATM has a 4 digit numerical pin and 2) its a good idea to let your bank/credit card companies know you'll be overseas so they don't refuse the transactions.

Bon voyage
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Ok, this question has been answered 100 times here, but for the record

1. Traveller's Cheques went out with the Arc. Don't get them
2. If you really want to get some cash so that you're not cashless when you arrive, and your bank (incredibly!) can't get you the money, then get as small amount as you can from Thomas Cook. Say, 50 euros.
3. However, by far the easiest and cheapest way to get cash abroad is to use an ATM. They are everywhere. And you'll find them at CDG when you arrive.
4. Use a combination of cash and credit cards throughout your trip, just as you would at home, I presume.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:33 AM
cmt

I don't know anything about Thomas Cook, but I always try to get some local currency before I leave. I wouldn't want to have to depend on getting it at the airport when I arrive, tired, with luggage, and am in a hurry to get a taxi or shuttle bus or train. I get them at a local American Express office in a nearby town.

Once there, I get what i need at ATM machines and also pay by credit caard when possible. Travelers checks are unnecessary these days.

If going to an area known to have very few ATMs or not many places accepting creit cards, I'd take more cash; if going someplace where there are ATMs all over the place, I'd take just a small amount. I think where you're going, there will be ample opportunity to use ATM machines once you're there.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:43 AM
ira

Hi lois,

All you need are 2 ATM cards and 2 credit cards (In case something happens to one).

At your departure airport, buy about $100 in euro. It will cost about $3 more than in Europe.

You will have enough cash until you get to your hotel and find the local ATMs.

Are we still on for Monday, Sept 19 at Jardin d'Epicure?

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Ira has it exactly right.

Trav Checks of any kind are very expensive (to buy and to cash - very poor rate of exchange) and very inconvenient - few stores or restaurants will take them - which means finding a bank during open hours, having your passport with you - and hoping it's not one of the increasing number of banks that will cash them only for its own customers.