Some general questions about Italy

Jul 10th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Meredith

Some general questions about Italy

Generally speaking, what is the weather like in Italy in November? Would we be crazy to hope to take a dip in the Mediterranean that time of year? Also, are the hostels generally safe, clean, not too shabby, inexpensive, etc.? Or are we just better off looking for reasonably priced hotels? Thanks for your help!

Jul 10th, 2000, 02:42 PM
xxx

Meredith,

You may want to do a search on this forum to find info on hostels and weather. I'm quite sure that information has been discussed many times over.

Jul 11th, 2000, 01:00 AM
Paige

I think it can swing either way and depends on where you are. I was in the cinque terre area last October and it was very warm and a few people were swimming. Another trip, I was in Florence the 1st week of November and it was bloody freezing. Some horrible cold front blew in, it was ferociously windy, drizzly and miserable. I don't think that's the norm but it happened to us! Pack your swimsuit, what the hey.

Jul 11th, 2000, 04:46 AM
elaine

www.wunderground.com When you access a forecast for a city, at the bottom of the "current conditions" table, you'll see a box for "Historical Conditions". Not all cities have data; it seems to be available for larger cities in the country, but it's great for getting a general idea of temps/conditions during the time you'll be there.
www.washingtonpost.com also has historical weather data

Jul 11th, 2000, 04:53 AM
howard

The temperature was in the mid to high 50s for the most part in the latter part of last November when we were there (Rome, Venice and Amalfi Coast). Itt did get cooler in Florence.

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:34 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Meredith, The temp will be in the 50s
and Nov. is a rainy month in most of
Italy---not the best time to go.
I would try to get good 2 star hotels rather than hostels. You should do well
in Nov.---off season.

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:53 AM
karen

Definitely look for lodging that will have heat. Those old stone buildings can be awfully cold and damp during the rainy season, and I wouldn't count on hostels being heated without asking. Even in the middle of winter, there are beautiful warm sunny days in Rome, and it might get warm enough for a quick dip farther south (as in Sicily). But be prepared for rain and chilly weather. Inland cities seem to be colder than coastal ones, in general.

Search this Thread