Reload this Page >

Solstice at Stonehenge

Search

Solstice at Stonehenge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 1998, 11:35 PM
Dan Peters

Solstice at Stonehenge

Has anyone ever been to Stonehenge for solstice? Do Pagans gather there to celebrate or mourn the onset of winter? If so, does that result in a cultural ambiance worth sampling? I would assume that it does, but would appreciate any insight and advice. <BR> Thanks, vespadaddy

Old Dec 11th, 1998, 07:14 PM
John

dont' know about solstice celebration--but on a trip last summer thought Stonehenge was great--better than expected, given my expectation of crowds. ( It was crowded, but still impressive). <BR> <BR>Better yet was the stone circle in Avebury, a little quaint village in the middle of a giant circle of stones from the same (approx.) period. This was less "touristic" and but very beautiful and impressive.

Old Dec 12th, 1998, 04:50 AM
Aurora

Once upon a time, you could walk right up to the stones at Stonehenge. But those days are gone. You must stay behind a fence some distance away. A large car park across the road and connected via a tunnel accommodates the crowds of people who infest this over-visited site. The preceding poster is right on the mark: Avebury is MUCH more interesting and accessible. While in that vicinity, visit the Kennett Long Barrow, a neolithic grave site. Hardly anybody hikes up there, and it's well worth your time. Get an Ordnance Survey Map while in Britain and see how many, many of these places there are -- and most are MUCH better than fighting the crowds at Stonehenge.

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 09:35 AM
Beth

I've been to both Stonehenge and Avebury, and agree that Avebury is more accessible and very interesting (especially when traveling with an anthropology/archaeology student). We were at Avebury last year at the time of the Fall Equinox. There were a few druids there in the afternoon, chanting within the Stone circle, but not enough going to to enhance the cultural ambiance. I did get a chuckle out of it though. <BR> <BR>I was at Stonehenge 10 years ago, when you could still get inside the ropes, but only on Tuesdays in winter (it was December). It wasn't very crowded on that wet, misty day and it was really very impressive. I wouldn't have missed it either.

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 05:55 PM
Margaret

I was at Stonehenge on the Winter solstice in 1969, with family and friends only; no fence, no parking lot, no postcard stands...I would never go back now, but if you go on a wet, dull winter day you might get some idea of the past glory.

Old Dec 16th, 1998, 10:27 AM
Nigel

Every winter solstice the legendary British rock group, Spinal Tap, plays a free headbanging concert at Stonehenge. <BR> <BR>This is an experience not to be missed, especially when the druids come out to dance! <BR> <BR>See you there! <BR>-don't forget to bring some records or CDs for the band to sign afterwords.

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 08:17 AM
Peter Bond

This will be my 5 year in a row that I have seen Spinal Tap on winter solstace at Stonehenge. They really put on a great show! And it is free! <BR> <BR>It's quite interesting to see the way druids worship. There are usually some other famous people from the music industry there. In '95 David Bowie sang on a few tunes. --- Is anyone else out there going? <BR>

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 02:04 PM
George Strathmore

I'll be there! Its on Monday 12-21 right? Are they gonna start at sunset again? <BR>