Solothurn, Switzerland

Search

Solothurn, Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solothurn, Switzerland

I have been looking for a place to stop for two nights between Montreux and Zurich and Solothurn looks very interesting. Essential Switzerland says it is a good place to visit; Fodors doesn't even mention it.

I have had some conversations with s and she thinks it would be a good choice. I know how you Swiss enthusiasts like to chat so this is your chance to put your two cents in before I book the Hotel Krone in Solothurn.

Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Hi, Judi. Have you searched here? I think Ingo might have contributed some positive comments about Solothurn, but I can't recall how long ago that was. I visited Solothurn one day while staying on Thunersee, and I thought it was one of the nicest surprises I've experienced. I really thought it was a lovely, quiet town, and I think you'll like it a lot.

Of course, having said that, I cannot remember if you've ever stayed in Thun. So if you have not, I'd recommend that small city instead. It's a gem. J.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi JW! (I am one of the Zuoz gals.)

Thanks for your reply. I guess I should have said that we will be in Sachseln for two weeks with Untours and will be able to do a lot of exploring around the Heartland and the BO with our SwissPass. Thun is just two hours away so we would be able to spend a day there. We spent several nights in Wengen a few years ago so don't need to return to that area.

After that we are going to spend four nights in Montreux (guess whose influence landed us there?) and then after two nights in Solothurn or(???) we will overnight in Zurich before our flight out the following day.

Three weeks in Switzerland in September/October = Heaven!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Hello Judi!

How nice to hear from you again (and jw!). Three weeks in Switzerland is indeed heaven. I am envious! (Although I spent one week this winter there, as you probably know).

Go to Solothurn! It is indeed a lovely Swiss town. One advice: if you travel there from Montreux take the rail route along the Jura lakes (Neuchatel, Biel) - most scenic! With vineyards, picturesque villages, mountains to the left, lakes to the right.

Have you seen my Solothurn page on VT? Here is the link:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a8840/

I hope it works.

Happy Easter to all my "Switzerland Lovers" fellows.

Ingo
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Hi! (Judi, I was pretty sure you were a Zuoz alumna; great to read you!) (and Happy Easter, Ingo!)

I am so envious, I can hardly stand it. Three weeks! and Sachseln has been on my list for centeral Switzerland for years. When we stayed in Brienz years ago, long before it was trampled, we took the Brunigpass train to Lucerne and delighted in the magnificent scenery. The most captivating view was of Lungern and its little lake. You'll know what I mean when you see it. If you're still compiling your daytrip list for those two weeks, be sure to include Altdorf. It is just below Lucerne's lake and is a lovely little town. I simply cannot wait to read your trip report.

As for Solothurn, I'm glad Ingo's responded, and I hope you do have time to explore the villages along the Bielersee. Ingo, what do you think about Biel itself? I've never explored that town.

Now, having praised Solothurn, let me add that the only other town I would add as a possiblity instead (if you have not already visited) is Schaffhausen, north of Zurich. It, along with its picturesque little neighbor Stein am Rhein, is an outstanding small city (IMO), and in its favor is the fact that it is very different from any of your other stops.

Just one more bit regarding your night before in Zurich. If you've stayed in the city previously and are interested in a pretty town just a spit from the flughafen, take a look at the Hotel Zum Goldenen Kopf's website in Bulach. It is my 'last night in Switzerland' splurge, but I think you might like it. J.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jw and Ingo for your input.

Ingo, I had not seen your Solothurn page on VT....that seals the deal! Thanks!

jw, cute hotel and town! However, my husband has never been to Zurich so I have booked the Pension St. Josef where I have stayed twice before.

Our next Swiss trip will include the northeastern part from St. Gallen to Schaffhausen and for our last night I think we will stay in Bulach.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Judy, the northeastern part of Switzerland sounds nice, too. I love St. Gallen, especially the cathedral and the stunning library. Very nice - and off the beaten path - is the Kartause Ittingen.

When in Sachseln, don't miss Flüeli-Ranft with its chapel of St. Nikolaus and a side trip to the charming Art Nouveau hotel Paxmontana.

Jw, Biel - has a VERY small charming old town (similar style to Bern and Murten) and a nice recreation area by the lake. Nothing else to see in Biel IMO.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Happy Easter All. Judi, I've reciprocated by visiting the St. Josef website. A graceful hotel, indeed. (p.s. How many days until S' goes to Saanen?) Affectionately, J.