Reload this Page >

Solo travel for women

Search

Solo travel for women

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Elaine

Solo travel for women

I'm a single female in my mid 40's. I'm going solo for my first trip to Europe. The plan is to see France, Italy, Germany. Any Advice

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:40 AM
dan

Check out solo travel for men

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:46 AM
rebecca

try www.journeywoman.com <BR><BR>good luck, and have a great trip!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Barb

Elaine:<BR><BR>I'm a single female 55, going solo for the first time in Oct. to Italy. I was there last year, fell in love with it and want to go back. Can't find the right person to go with, so i'm going to do it solo. I'm a little nervous, but very determined. So, good luck to you,have a great time.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Elaine

Thank you both Rebecca, I enjoy the website you suggested! Barb, you have a great time, too! When I return I will email you.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:00 PM
frank

Maybe, we can hook up I will be traveling to the same locations in March.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Elaine

Sorry, it is Feb for me

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:26 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Vita

Barb, I did Rome, Siena, and Florence by myself last October. I had a wonderful time. <BR><BR>Elaine, I have no specific words of wisedom other than to exercise the same common sense that you would normally. Try to stay in populated areas in the evening. Learn where the bad neighborhoods are and avoid them. A lot of people might ask you if you are by yourself. I made judgement calls but usually I lied and told people that I was travelling with friends and we were just doing our own thing at the moment. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that you have.<BR><BR>Traveling alone is great. You have so much more freedom. You can linger around places you enjoy and leave if it's just not working for you.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM
rosa

Solo travel is the way to go!<BR>Walk as if you know where you're going in your black flats, read a lot before you go and while you're there, and savor your food while dining alone. Take time to smell the roses, relax in a park, go to a market, hang out in a square. The cathedrals will always be there.<BR><BR>Unless you plan to go for a long, long time, one country might be more enjoyable than three. (Not to sound like the travel czarina, or anything--but I've done both ways and immersion in one place has always been far more rewarding.)<BR><BR>Have a wonderful, wonderful trip and don't forget to write a journal!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Elizabeth

I do think the thing about men travelling solo would be helpful for you.<BR><BR> When I was in London alone last summer I had a great time. I am in my 50s. I found it super-easy to find other women to talk to--at the bar of my hotel, at theatres where I was hanging around looking for a last-minute ticket (so were some other women), in the cafes of museums which is where I ate lunches. <BR><BR> Unless you are seeking to avoid human contact, I can't recommend tours and day-trips enough. A morning here, a half-day there, a whole day--I'm sure you could research this, but I've had good luck just picking up brochures at hotels or visitors' centers. You find people to talk to, if you like them you might have lunch or dinner, etc.<BR><BR> Or when yo have an itinerary post specific questions here, I did, and got all the help I needed. Probably people will tell you exactly where to go, eat, etc.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Elaine

Thank you, to all the wonderful women who responded. You make me proud our gender! You can believe I will have a GREAT time, thanks again!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Leslie

Traveling solo can be a wonderful adventure and experience. I prefer to travel by myself, I get to go where I want to go, do what I want to do and when I want to do it -- there's no compromising. You can't blame anyone but yourself, so your mistakes will be few.<BR><BR>Just be cautious, aware of your surroundings and use good judgment. And, if you have a shoulder bag, DO NOT wear it on your shoulder -- DO WEAR it across your chest.<BR><BR>Have a great time.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Marie

Be confident! Relax--I've traveled all over the world alone, and occassionally hooked up with other travelers to destinations--but alone is better. I once observed 2 terrified young Western women getting off a train in India with all kinds of backpacks--they were together and their terror easily recognizable! I stood by relaxed and casual in India clothes. I always purchase and wear the local clothing during the day, to bring less attention to myself. Helps you fit in, too. At night you might want to dress-up in your own stuff to go out--you'll get more attention that way. I once saw a Western woman traveling alone in China with a big backpack, and sensed her frightened vibes as I walked past her. She did say a word to me, but I could tell she was shaking in fear. She looked straight ahead as if she saw no one. I think all these frightened woman made the same mistakes--they were too frightend to talk to the people around them and find out the people were not a threat, so that if any real threats did confront them they would not be recognized. These women needed to calm down and talk to the people around them. And relax. The backpack thing is like a huge flag that can be spotted from far away, indicates lack of money, and that you don't fit in, etc--If traveling on limited funds take a small bag instead, that could pass as a tote bag or large purse, and buy what you need at cheaper prices in the foreign countries you visit. Show a little class! Wear the local clothes. Local people seem to enjoy and appreciate that too. If you walk around in your foreign gear, stuff that's not suited to the weather and environment even, the local people may think you are snobbish or feel superior to them. Or the hippy grubby gear has got to go. Give up the torn up cut off jeans and t-shirts and opt for a simple inexpensive cotton dress or something. You can always give it away before you return home.<BR>Lean to speak some of the local language, and try it out on the people around you.<BR>Write in a journal--it can be a fun activity to find a shop that sells blank page books in the country you are traveling in, and a pen, and buy them there. The journals becomes a double souvenier, as well as a recording of you thoughts and feelings and experiences on the journey.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Elaine

A lovely read! I don't know the street clothes for Paris, I assume black everything! I am not a backpacker, but I love regular people that can teach me more! I am finally learning to love every bit of life; my 2 children are college graduates and live in other states, my husband left 2 years ago; I am better than ever and healthier mentally and physically than ever. Thanks for what you shared! E

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:19 PM
andrea

Hi Elaine! Congratulations! The previous posters gave you some great insights & positive inspirations. I too have blissfully, successlly traveled the world solo. Wonderful experiences! Sounds like you're in a good head space.<BR><BR>Was there specific advice you were looking for? Hope we can help. Ciao!

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been traveling solo since I was 15 - and my last trip lasted 3 years, starting at age 43... I've pulled together all my travel tips and advice for solo women at www.women-on-the-road.com because I couldn't find much dedicated to solo women's travel at the time...