Search

Solo Travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Holly

Solo Travel

I am going solo for the first time in a few weeks to Rome. I know I will have a good time, but if I get a little lonely and might like to talk to someone who speaks English, I've heard Irish pubs are a great place to do this. Are there any Irish pubs, or english-speaking places that I can go, just in case I feel a little lonely. I can speak a little Italian, but not really enough to carry on an in-depth conversation. Any suggestions.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 12:46 PM
hamlet

There were similar questions posted here recently. You can do a search for "Roman Nightlife" and "Making a Friend" under Italy where I and others mentioned some place you might want to check out.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 12:51 PM
elaine

Hi Holly<BR>I've traveled alone and not, and I made more "friends" in Rome than anywhere else. In my hotel breakfast room, in a restaurant, in a museum, I found myself talking to people and/or they talking to me. English-speaking and nons. In one case I ended up having dinner with some new acquaintances on the following night.<BR>I hope you have a great time.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Holly

Elaine - I've been to Rome, but not by myself. I love Rome and I am sure I will probably run into more people solo than I did when I was with other people. I just thought in the unlikely event that I don't, it would be nice to know I could find a place where I was sure to find people who spoke English and I could easily strike up a conversation with someone. Did you have any problems eating alone?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:04 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>When I went I had not been to Rome before.<BR>I was treated very well in restaurants.<BR>A couple of the places I especially liked were La Tartaruga (via del Monte della Farina 53, 06 686 9473, about a 10-12 minute walk from the Pantheon/Piazza Navona neighborhood) and Myosotis (via dela Vaccarella 3/5, phone 06 686 5554, www.myostotis.it ).<BR>At the former, they treated me so especially warmly and generously (and the food was so good!) that I went back the following night with my new acquaintances and enjoyed it just as much.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Sara

There is a tour group by the Coloseum which does the Forum tour and a Rome at night tour, as well as a Rome Pub Crawl. On the pub crawl tour, I met a lot of people. There was everyone from 20years to senior citizens(who were having a ball).

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:48 AM
pam

If I remember correctly, there is an Irish-pub looking establishment in the tiny Piazza Biscione, just north of the Campo dei Fiori. We didn't go in, but noticed it while we were dining across the piazza. (BTW, that restaurant, La Pollarola, is terrific.)

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Grasshopper

I ran across an interesting website for solo travellers; www.osolomio.com This could be the solution for some people who don't want to travel alone.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:15 PM
SoloGal

Irish pubs are one place, but Sara has some great suggestions for meeting fellow travelers. Also, Campo Fiore has bars that are popular with American sudents, also you're sure to meet people at the Piazza Navona.