Solo travel

May 18th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Lindsey

Solo travel

I have a week's leave due in June, and I'm considering a trip on my own. I have never travelled solo before, so I'd be grateful for any advice. I live in London, and will be travelling on a limited (but not tiny) budget. I have been thinking about a trip to one of the smaller Greek islands, as my idea of a perfect holiday would be an unspoilt beach, turquoise sea and a great novel - does anyone have any experience of travelling alone in Greece? Safety tips for a young female traveller also gratefully received!

May 18th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Darlene

You need to rent the movie "Shirley Valentine" (British-made, in the 1980s I think)!

May 18th, 2001, 07:41 AM
ALW

To be honest, I much prefer travelling alone. I have not been to Greece, but I have been to Sicily and along the southern coast of Italy, which I have been told has a semisimilar atmosphere. Be forewarned: you will be noticed. Obvious attention will be paid to you. However, in my experience it was completely nonthreatening. While some men may go out of their way to make contact with you (or even follow you around), they will respect your physical boundaries (again, in my own experience). As long as you can recognize the possibility of this situation occurring and think you'll be ok with it -- go, enjoy, relax !

May 18th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Sara

Lindsey, I went to Europe alone last year and had such a wonderful time that I will be there again this year. I am more of a sight seeing person but I am sure you will have wonderful time relaxing on a beach. I moved around alot so had a chance to meet people on trains and very much enjoyed chatting with someone for an hour or two and then being on my own. Just don't go out late at night or doing things that you know would be unsafe at home and you will be fine.

May 21st, 2001, 01:56 AM
Lindsey

Thank you!

May 21st, 2001, 03:44 AM
Simon

Great way to see the world, but since you are female, I would avoid southern europe, unless you don't mind being harressed. Wouldn't mind my sister/daughter travelling alone to northern europe though.