Search

Solo female travelling from London to the Greek Islands

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo female travelling from London to the Greek Islands

Hi,

I'm a 38 year old woman, looking to solo travel to the Greek Islands for around 10 - 14 days from the last week in September 2017. I would be grateful for any advice on safety for a woman travelling alone on the Greek Islands, which Island to stay on, accommodation & activities please.

So to start with - I've been to a travel agent & they have quoted me £1,400 for a 10 night stay in Corfu (with easyJet). I was hoping to spend less to be honest, although I'm unaware just how much this trip should cost & wondered if staying in an airbnb apartment might be a better option? My concern is whether this is a safe option for a woman travelling alone? I've never used airbnb on my own before. I'm not particularly keen on just taking a bedroom in someone's home, I would rather an apartment to myself, but it's whether it's safe?

Personally, I had thought of staying on Kefalonia or Santorini? But my agent has told me Corfu is cheaper?

I'm looking for a relaxing holiday (although I'm not a keen sunbather) & a gorgeous view where I can put pen to paper & write. I love boat trips, so would be great to know the best island for taking them. I'm hoping they still run in late September? And how much do they roughly cost? Maybe a wine tour, so day trip ideas would be greatly welcomed & somewhere that has a few lovely restaurants & bars. I love meeting new people, but want to steer clear of the club/party crowd. I should point out that I can't drive, but thankfully love walking. Are the islands small enough to get around on foot?

All advice greatly welcomed & thanks in advance!
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 08:20 AM

It is very easy for you to find out for yourself what the cost should be, you do not need a travel agent - and most likely do not want one. Go on booking.com and put in some of the towns/islands you are interested in and your dates and you will see your options. Since you are talking about only a couple weeks from now you won't have all that much choice, but there should still be options. Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Crete would all be possibilities. See where easyjet and ryanair fly to. For Naxos and Paros you might need to fly to Athens and take ferry but that's not difficult.

Traveling solo I prefer a hotel rather than airbnb - I like that there is someone I can ask for help or information if I want. But there are plenty of small hotels and B&Bs where you'd have your own room but someone on site if you have problems whereas with a lot of airbnb places you have to arrange to meet the owner to get the key, then call them if you need something, etc.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 09:24 AM
kja

I'm a woman, I recently spent a month in Greece alone, and never worried about my safety. Of course, I took the "normal" precautions, but nothing special. You can find my trip report here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-greece.cfm

Like isabel, I don't think you would need a travel agent -- traveling on your own is quite easy. And like isabel, I prefer a hotel or B&B to an apartment, but I think that's a really personal decision.

Santorini will be more expensive than most places in Greece. I haven't been to Corfu yet, though I'm sure it's lovely. You might want to explore your options for Crete -- several lovely places, public transportation options to get from place to place, etc.

A good guidebook or two should prove invaluable -- the cost will be nominal in comparison to the cost of your trip, and you'll have a wealth of information at your fingertips. I found the Rough Guide and Michelin Green Guide particularly useful.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 10:33 AM

September, especially late Sept. is off season so prices will be lower just about anywhere in Greece. The weather is still nice but not hot like summer and less tourists also helps.

There are numerous islands you'll find what you are looking for.

I always book my own trip, flights, room, transfers, etc. With the internet is very easy and there are always travel forums to get advice. In addition you'll probably get a better deal than through a travel agent or third-party site and definitely better customer service.

I also prefer an accommodation like a studio from a reputable business rather than airbnb, but that's just my preference.

Check out Matt's Greek Island Guide for lots of options based on the island group.

You should find something that will fit your need.

http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/

Greece is one of Europe's safest countries, even for a woman solo traveler. Like anywhere use common sense and you'll be OK.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never been to Greece, but I do travel solo and plan my own trips...

I would take the general outline your travel agent used and do some research on prices yourself online. It's very easy to do.

For me a trip planning means finding a good accommodation, booking a plane ticket, and doing some general research of what's going on in town. That's really all you need for the kind of trip you describe.

Sounds like a general guidebook is in order at this point to narrow down which towns fit the atmosphere you want (places to walk, friendly, safe, etc.).

As mentioned above I strongly prefer hotels when I travel solo. They are much easier to arrange, and you have a better change of getting exactly what you expect, plus the help of a front desk if you need assistance with something. I just feel safer and more comfortable in a hotel than an "aiabnb" style rental myself. They don't have to be more money. Research on websites like Lonely Planet/Thorn Tree to see lower priced but well recommended accommodation options.

Good luck! Have fun!
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 06:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh and as far as cheaper vs more expensive options... often there's a good reason when one town is more popular (and more expensive) it's because it's nicer and has more to offer, not always true but often so.