Search

Solo Dining: Rome/Florence/Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Dining: Rome/Florence/Venice

Hello,

Yes, I realize I already posted this once, but I was not so discreetly chided for improperly listing my subject and was asked to repost, so my sincerest apologies to whoever was offended and, once again...

I am traveling alone to Italy the last 12 days of March and would like to know if anyone can recommend any restaurants in Rome, Florence and/or Venice that are particularly friendly toward or conducive to solo dining. I am a female in my early thirties. This is my first trip to Italy but I have traveled solo in other parts of Europe, so I don't have any reservations about traveling or dining alone. I actually enjoy solo travel immensely because my time and itinerary are completely my own. However, I have traveled alone enough to know that certain restaurants are a bit more accommodating to single diners than others, so I would appreciate some suggestions for Italy, if anyone has any.

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I would recommend La Caravella and Poste Vechie in Venice, Al Trono di Attila in the nearby island of Torcello, I’ Toscano in Florence, and Otello alla Concordia near the Spanish Steps in Rome.

I’ve traveled alone to all three cities and found these spots hospitable to people in general and to me in particular. Generally, I’ve had fine dining experiences in all three cities, friendliness, courteousness, and a knowlege of the local cuisine on my part being the keys.

Actually, I’ve gone alone so often over the past eight years that I would probably now find it difficult to travel with someone else, because I’m now so used to being able to do precisely what I want to do when I want to do it.

I’m going ro Rome in May for another solo flight.

Have fun.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not dining, but I like the counters and stand-up bars just in off the sidewalk for a quick espresso or glass of wine (in Venice).
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM

In Rome, I dined solo at several places along the Via del Governo Vecchio (near the Piazza Navona, but I wouldn't recommend anywhere right on the Piazza--too touristy and unremarkable food). My favorite was the Trattoria Gino e Pietro (still there as of May 2004). L'Insalata Ricca in Piazza Pasquino is a great place too, another favorite of mine. The wine bar next door (Cul de Sac) is a nice place to relax with a drink. You can sit outside at a lot of places, which is fun if you're by yourself and like to people-watch.

I don't know if it still exists or if the food's still good, because I haven't been to Venice in several years, but there I liked a place called Trattoria alla Rivetta (address is Castello 4625). It's off Campo SS. Filippo e Giacomo, right before the Ponte S. Provolo. It was very near my hotel so I ate there a couple of times.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I was in Florence for a month about 3 years ago, and I dined alone about half the time. I was staying in the Oltrano area of Florence, just across the Ponte Vecchio, and I usually selected restaurants nearby in the evening.

My favorite was Mama Gina's, Via San Jocobo, and my second favorite was Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco, on the same street. I was always able to get a reservation for the evening, but I did notice that they preferred to seat me by 7:30pm. And I was never rushed once I was seated.

I usually took a book with me or just watched the other diners as I drank wine and ate very good meals.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM

No suggestions from me, but I will also be in Rome, Venice and Florence at the end of March. If you'd like to meet up for dinner one night, email me at [email protected]

Anne
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I really don't think you should worry about this. I was in Italy for 18 days in Sept by myself and never once ate in a restaurant that was not perfectly accommodating to me as a solo diner. If you want to know where I ate plus other information on travelling alone in Italy, here is my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34687434

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM

I am going to be in Italy the end of March thru the first week of April. If you are interested in meeting up for coffee or dinner. that would be wonderful. You can email me at [email protected].

This is my first solo trip abroad and am very excited about it. If we don't have a chance to meet up, have an absolutely wonderful time.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:31 PM

You won't have a problem anywhere you choose...I found that in all three cities the restaurants were very kind towards solo female diners. I always felt very doted upon, and well cared for.

I also loved Trattoria Mama Gina in Florence! My solo lunch there was relaxed and lovely.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I've recently returned from 10days in Venice - solo - and found only welcoming and wonderful service at the following (& I'm sure there are many more!) Trattoria San Toma, Da Ignazio, Enoteca San Marco, Oliva Nero, Birraria, Attiquetta, La Zucca - and one very extravagent lunch at Florians!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Ditto on Insalata Ricca in Rome (there are at least two). Yummy salads and pastas.

And ditto on Venice's wine bars with delicious small plates (cichetti). Informal and friendly.