Sognefjord or Geirangerfjord

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a rental car for 3 possibly 4 days in late May or early June which fjord would you choose to take scenic roads and ferries? For Sognefjord we would rent out of Bergen and for Geirangerfjord we would rent out of Alesund. We cannot do both so I was hoping for advice from those of you with experience with one or both. Does one stand out over the other or would they kind of be the "same" experience. I realize how subjective this is. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 12:14 PM

For me: Sognefjord. Purely subjective of course. But if you do Sognefjord, also consider Lom, and a drive across Sognefjell.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 04:21 AM

We did a driving trip in Norway a few years ago. We only had 5 days but we made the most of it. Driving in Norway was very easy. There is little traffic and the roads are easy to navigate. At points you drive up to a ferry, pay the fare and drive on. Very simple. We landed in Bergen and stayed a few nights. We then drove to Balestrand and stayed at the Balestrand Hotel (with a view of the fjord). It was gorgeous! We then drove up to Luster and stayed at a place called Nes Gard. It it one of my most favorite memories in all my travels. I actually had found this hotel while I was searching and planned my route so that we could stay there. It was a very smart move. While we were there we hiked out to a glacier. We also hiked up to a dam which was gorgeous (and very cold and it was August). You can have dinner right at the hotel (which is a good thing as there is really nothing else around there and the food was excellent). We then drove over the snow road into Flam. The snow road is only open in the summer. What a gorgeous drive! We had planned on driving over to the Hardangerfjord from Flam but there had been a fire in the tunnel and it was closed. We were forced to take the ferry and I must say that I enjoyed the scenery more when driving than I did on the ferry (this is part of NIN) and the crowds were pretty large both on the ferry and in Flam. This was not my favorite part of Norway. We stopped at the Stalheim Hotel to see the view. We stayed in the Hardangerfjord area for one night and then returned to Bergen where we flew to Stockholm. I think Norway is a very special place in the world and has the most stunning scenery that you will find anywhere. I will return someday and see more of the northern part of the country.

You could skip the Hardangerfjord if you are short on time or spend one night in Luster. Not sure if the snow road will be open when you go but there are alternatives. I will try to find some links for you.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 04:35 AM

This is the route we took.

https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/...urlandsfjellet This is the link to the snow road.

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings...nd-hotel/2250/

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings...esthouse/2288/

View from Nes Gard
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by kc3305
If you had a rental car for 3 possibly 4 days in late May or early June which fjord would you choose to take scenic roads and ferries? For Sognefjord we would rent out of Bergen and for Geirangerfjord we would rent out of Alesund. We cannot do both so I was hoping for advice from those of you with experience with one or both. Does one stand out over the other or would they kind of be the "same" experience. I realize how subjective this is. Thanks for the help.
You can do both fjords within your limited time. My recollection is that from Bergen we stayed in Solvorn the first night to visit the Urnes church across the fjord the next day and in Geirangerfjord the second. Admittedly we did not sightsee going to Solvorn, but we had already done the NIN. I think that we spent two nights in Geirangerfjord and then drove to Alesund; although I think that the tour of the fjord could be done in the morning with a drive on to Alesund in the afternoon. Depending on the rental company (we used Europcar obtained through Autoeurope as a broker) there might be no one way fee (although policies in that regard may have changed).

Leaving Solvorn and seen on the Geirangerfjord tour:

Last edited by Michael; Feb 21st, 2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
You can do both fjords within your limited time. My recollection is that from Bergen we stayed in Solvorn the first night to visit the Urnes church across the fjord the next day and in Geirangerfjord the second. Admittedly we did not sightsee going to Solvorn, but we had already done the NIN. I think that we spent two nights in Geirangerfjord and then drove to Alesund; although I think that the tour of the fjord could be done in the morning with a drive on to Alesund in the afternoon. Depending on the rental company (we used Europcar obtained through Autoeurope as a broker) there might be no one way fee (although policies in that regard may have changed).

Leaving Solvorn and seen on the Geirangerfjord tour:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/4214159985/in/album-72157623070576316/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7623070576316/
Correction: the first picture is taken on the road from Urnes.

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:10 PM

Bookmarking...