Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is driving the E39 from Bergen to Balestrand a good route to take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to take a circular route starting and ending in Bergen. Was going to rent a car for the entire trip but have been considering taking the boat from Bergen to Balestrand (and renting a car there) instead of driving up the E39 for the first leg of the journey. Does anyone know how the E39 is for driving? I know it involves a ferry and then driving along the water. It looks like it would be a beautiful route on the map but maps can be misleading. Does anyone have experience with driving the E39? Is it a pretty route to take or should I take a different route?
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 01:20 PM

One way car hire from Balestrand to Bergen would be very expensive, as there is no major car hire company there the car would have to be driven back at your expense. I'g go for your original plan - It's a reasonable distance for one day. But instead of FV55 drive Gaularfjellet (or save it for a day trip from Balestrand).To return to Bergen you could drive to Mannheller-Fodnes ferry, then over the snow road - Aurlandsfjellet (instead of the long tunnel), stay a night in Aurland, then continue through Flåm and Voss back to Bergen. Or add a day and drive through Hardangerfjord area.
http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en
You can always use GoogleMaps Streetview to see the view for yourself
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dyoll. So you are saying go up the 39, take the ferry and then head up to the Gaularfjellet and over to Balestrand? I had marked that road but had not thought of driving that way. Thanks for the tip. We are headed to Hoyheimsvik for a few days after Balestrand and will definitely take the snow road on the way to Flam (glad to hear we can avoid the tunnel). We are planning on spending time in the Hardangerfjord area on the way back. I am glad you think my route will work. How is the 39 from Bergen to the ferry? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM

These roads aren't exactly major highways - but use Streetview to see for yourself - far too long ago to remember exactly. You might save Gaularfjellet for a day trip from Balestrand. Doing it as a detour from Bergen - Balestrand might make for a long day.