Search

Sofitel Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
DJE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sofitel Rome

Any comments on this hotel in Rome. Looks to be in a pretty good location not too far from the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM

I spent a few nights here about 2 years ago. The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the top of the Spanish Steps, and about 20 minutes walk to the Trevi fountain. The rooms were beautiful, in good condition with nice marble bathrooms. Our breakfast was included; it was nothing special, but it was filling and tasty. If you can get breakfast included in the rate, it is worth it; if you have to pay extra for it, I would pass on it.

The outside ambience is nothing special, but Via Veneto and great (expensive) shopping is in walking distance.

Let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to answer.

Happy Travels!

-Chels
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM

We loved the Sofitel!!

The rooms are breathtakingly beautiful, with wonderful marble bathrooms.

A well-kept secret is the roof terrace.

The location is pretty good, close to the Spanish Steps and to the underground station. We also liked walking in the direction of Via Veneto. It is a very upscale neighborhood with excellent delicatessen stores and good restaurants. Not touristy.

I would go there anytime again.

They provide a bus service from and to the airport, but I do not think it is cheaper than a taxi.

I would not recommend the hotel restaurant. But a few steps outside, we had a wonderful dinner in "Il Tempio di Bacco". And within a 10 min walk you will find a wealth of restaurants, both along Via Veneto and in downtown.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
DJE
Original Poster

Thank you both for your helpful comments. Glad to hear that the location is good and the rooms are nicely appointed etc.

We now have a confirmed reservation for 4 nights and were able to have breakfast included in the reg. room rate, so didn't have to pay additional for this.

Regarding breakfast, are there any hot entrees included in their buffet?
Just wondering ( traveller 1959 ) why you suggest that we pass on their restaurant and I assume by this you are referring to having lunch or dinners?

I gather it is safe to be out in the general proximity of the hotel in the evenings?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Re breakfast:

They had breads, croissants, sweet pastry, fruits, scrambled eggs, yoghurt, juices, cereals, salami and - typical Italian - a whole San Daniele ham. Breakfast was okay, but nothing special (do not forget that you are in Italy!).

Re restaurant:

The hotel restaurant is okay and you should try it, but IMO you find better options in the neighborhood. It is perfectly safe to walk through Rome at night. The Romans, like all Mediterraneans, are nightbirds.

When my Roman friends invite me for dinner, we usually meet at 9 p.m. for an apéritif. We do not sit down at the table before 10 p.m. And dinner would last until midnight.

If you want to get an impression of Roman lifestyle, watch Fellini's film "La Dolce Vita". Much of the films plays in Via Veneto which is close to the Sofitel.

For lunch, we often visited a delicatessen shop/enoteca, bought some antipasti, bread and wine and had a lunch on our room or in the park.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:54 AM

We stayed there for 4 days last year and just loved it! It was my 12th visit to Rome and the Sofitel and Capo d'Africa are two of my top hotel choices.

I love the location off the Via Veneto as it was not a mob scene like the area around the Pantheon and Navona has become. The beds were great, bathrooms wonderful, rooms very quiet and the breakfast was the best we had in Italy (fresh ricotta, perfectly sliced prosciutto) , except for service. I believe they had hot foods but I dislike the American version of breakfast so was not looking for them.

We walked around the area late at night with no problems and always felt very safe. And we loved the rooftop terrace and spent time out there every evening.

We avoid hotel restaurants in general for the cuisine of local trattorias.

We really enjoyed the entire experience.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
DJE
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. Looks like we've made a good choice all around for our hotel in Rome. I will look forward to spending some time on the rooftop terrace enjoying the view.