Search

soccer in italy

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soccer in italy

we are traveling to italy and i have some boys that would love to catch a soccer game.

Right now our schedule is flexible but we will be in rome, cinque terre area (or a little further south) and venice.

Any suggestions of teams and where to go to check on schedules?
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM

The '09-'10 Serie A Season just wrapped up so you wouldn't be able to catch any regular season matches until the '10-'11 season begins in the last part of August. There are exhibition matches that the major teams play (Juventus, Roma, AC Milan, Inter etc) overseas in Asia and in the US, but that will be limited this year due to World Cup.

If you will be in Italy in Sept or Oct, you could pick up tix to see Roma or Lazio while in Rome or the Udinese or Venezia (the Venezia team is not that good) while in Venice. However be warned that the crowds at the Roma and Lazio matches are not for the faint of heart and are often very violent and rowdy. I saw a Roma-Lazio derby match in April that erupted in an all-out riot in the city. It was not pretty.
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While not wanting to understate crowd trouble, a local derby is always going to be far more intense/troublesome than a normal game.

Venezia are no longer any good , but where else will you ever need to travel to a soccer match by boat?
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM

^^^ Agreed totally! Of course the derby games are more volatile, however the Serie A games have gotten worse the past few years - the year prior I went to Juventus v AC Milan match at San Siro and their group of ultras (the Fossa dei Leoni) got really out of hand with their flare throwing - which is always present at the games - but several fans got hurt and another 2 got knifed in another incident with the ultras.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we are too late for this season and too early for the next.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM

I wouldn't go to a Lazio match. Too freighted with political undertones and the fans have a deserved reputation for violent behavior. Go check out the references in How Soccer Explains the World or look here: http://www.slate.com/id/115070/.

Roma is the better side. Whether the boys will like it much is a different question -- Stadio Olimpico is a multi-use stadium, with a full 400m track on the field separating the soccer pitch from the fans, which may mean the view will be of little men in short pants running around after a tiny ball if you're not in the front rows. But the Italians did upgrade it and modernize it so it could host the ECL final last year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_...of_the_stadium

Remember, don't wear the other team's colors or the rival's colors when you're attending. That means no light blue if you're at a Roma match and no maroon/yellow combinations if you go to a Lazio match. This isn't bs like telling a Redsax fan not to wear his "I'm an inferior species" hat in Yankee Stadium, which itself is not a problem (the full display of Masshole attitude is). In Europe, Mexico or South America, wearing the bad guy's colors alone is a provocation.
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
jgg

Will you be there during the world cup?? If so, even though you won't be able to see an actual game it is very fun and exciting to be in Europe during the World Cup. We were in Italy during the 2006 World Cup when Italy was winning and it was just so exciting - kind of like being here for the Super Bowl only it lasts several weeks! When Italy won a game people would just be running through the streets with Italian flags, honking, etc. Then in 2008 we were in Munich and Prague and they put up big movie screens in the plazas and would show the games - very fun - I think your boys will love being a part of the excitement!