Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So who's been to Elba? A couple of questions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be on Elba three nights in July. There seems to be so little information about Elba on the boards from folks who have actually been there(here and elsewhere--I've tried Slowtrav and TripAdvisor as well).

We'll be getting off the ferry just in time for lunch...can anyone recommend a lunch spot in or just outside of Portoferraio? We'll be driving towards Capo S'andrea, where we are staying at Hotel Cernia. Since the hotel includes half-board, we won't need dinner recommendations, but really would love a nice seafood lunch when we get off the ferry.

Also wondering if anyone has any specific beach recommendations for that (Western) end of the island? A sandy beach that is actually swimable would be nice.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

wow, no one's been to Elba!? Its amazing how little information there is...
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM

We visited about 30 years ago...I doubt anything is the same and I don't remember anything anyway except it was really beautiful.

Have you tried this site?http://www.elba-online.com/elbafoto/elbafotoe.html

Loads of lovely pictures, many panos of beaches. Maybe you can pick out one to explore.

Enjoy your time in Elba.

Able was I ere I saw Elba.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:03 AM

I think Napoleon has been there.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM

And you know what he said?

"Able was I, 'ere I saw Elba."
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Everyone has apprently heard about the famous Napoleon pallindrome but I suspect if he said anything, it was more likely to have been,

"En mesure pouvait I avant que j'aie vu l'elba."
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM

&quot;Everyone has apprently [<i>sic</i>] heard about the famous Napoleon pallindrome [<i>sic</i>]...&quot;

Oh, really? Have you polled everyone? How <u>do</u> you find the time?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Hi jczinn

I stayed a couple of nights in Elba 8 or 9 years ago but we stayed in Porto Azzurro. Elba is off the beaten path and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Bring a phrase book if you don't speak Italian. At that time, when I would speak in Italian, a couple of times they'd respond in German. I'd have to explain, &quot;Non parlo tedesco&quot;. (I don't speak German). They see more Italian and German tourists than British. They don't see too many visitors from the U.S or Canada either. I found Porto Azzurro to be very pretty, quaint and relaxing.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM

We have family there and are planning a June trip there again. We also took the ferry to the Porto Azurro side. It sounds like Portoferario is an easier ferry ride. It is trues that if you don't speak Italian they think you are German, but the guides work wonders.We found people to be fairly patient if you try to speak Italian. Our experience is the smaller more out of the way places have the best food and are least expensive. There is a wonderful hardware store in Portoferario and a gelato store on the corner near it. It's about a block from the dock.Can't help on the beaches we were based out of Capoliveri for the most part.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM

I just got back from a week there September 2008 and it was wonderful! We came on the ferry to Portoferraio and never left, due to no car. The beaches are rocky, the old town quaint and full of places to explore. English was kind of rare, but the food and drink good.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:30 AM

We did not have a cae either, but moved around be taxi and public bus when not with family. It was fairly easy.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM

hello jczinn...I am an American living in Italy with my italian husband and kids. We were in Elba years ago and we are going to Elba next weekend with my parents...so if you can wait until after june 15 I will send you a reply with good tips (we are "buone forchette" and my husband is a sommelier as a hobby, so a good place to eat is always a priority!.

As previously stated, Elba is really an "Italian" holiday destination and sees relatively few non italian tourists...all the better for you! I remember elba as very beautiful and laid back. Will let you know!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Ruth, I will also look forward to the eating information! Many thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
jczinn's post is from 2007. I think they are long gone from Elba.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM

The beach at Procchio is great. Best sand on the island.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:03 AM

So sorry for the delay...hopefully jczinn you have not yet left for elba.

We stayed at the Hotel Biodola, in gorgeous Biodola bay, about 15 minutes from Portoferraio. Great beach, excellent food, swimming pool, big lawn, tennis, perfect place to go with a family, very comfortable, very easy. Breakfast and dinner are included (and worth it!).

We did not eat this time in Portoferraio but a few years ago we had a wonderful meal at the Ristorante Stella Marina. I asked the concierge at the hotel and he said that the restaurant is still there and one still eats well. Buon viaggio!
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM

thank you kybourbon....clearly we are all 2 years too late!
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM

We hope to spend 3 nights on Elba,and are searching for a lovely place to stay,for a top of $300.per night..Any suggestions??
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Hello 4carolina. My family (my parents, husband, 5 year old and newborn) stayed at Hotel Biodola in June 2009 and I highly recommend it (see my post above). The location is beautiful and we had a wonderful time. I don't know when you are planning on going but the Biodola opens in April. There is a special price for Easter and room rates are low season from April to early June. The standard starts at 100 Euro/night, well within your price range.

Check out the hotel at www.elba4star.it. Site in Italian and English.

Buon viaggio!