Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So what should my husband wear in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 07:22 AM
donna

I would like to hear your opinion on what is appropriate and attractive outfits for men to wear in Europe in July. <BR>My husband and I and going to Netherlands <BR>(Amsterdam and southern areas) and Antwerpen in July. He is a typical American guy who is a little overweight,almost 50 (but feels a lot younger!) with tattoos all over his arms, and has to wear a suit and tie everyday to work . He likes to be comfy and wear shorts on vacation. I know that his tattoos put people off in Europe- but my husband is such a great guy, he ends up making friends with all kinds of people anyway!He chose all 3* or 4* hotels to stay in.Some., I'm sure , we will be the only Americans. He would like to look like affluent, but not pompous. He agreed to not wear white socks and sneakers or a baseball cap -he'll wear gray socks and brown walking shoes. Do you feel he should wear long sleeves most places? We know he has to wear a jacket and tie in ssome places for dinner. Wives, I'd especially like to hear from you.Thank you! donna

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 07:43 AM
Franco

Hello, I live in Brescia, that's about 60 miles from Milan (nothing to do with Nethetland). Don't worry about your husband's way of dressing. It's very hot here, just go around with short pants, walking shoes and short leaves. Don't worry for his tatoos, although they are not very frequent in Europe, we won't scandalize. By the way I'll be 50 in 5 more months and on vacations in Europe in summer I dress that way. <BR>Have a nice trip. Franco

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Sjoerd

Well, I am a guy and far from my 50th birthday , but I live in Amsterdam, so perhaps I may answer your question? <BR>It is perfectly OK during the day, especially when the weather is nice and warm, to wear shorts/Tshirts/white socks. However, after 7 PM I would advice your husband to wear something nice: a shirt, nice pants (no jeans please!, IMHO nobody older than 40 should wear jeans), and real leather shoes. Jacket/tie not necessary, only in very few 5* restaurants. <BR>I doubt that you will be the only Americans anywhere in Amsterdam, as the city is full of American tourists always, certainly now that the exchange rate is so good for Americans! <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 01:45 PM
lola

Nobody older than 40 should wear jeans? Why? They look a lot better than most other options when you are working outside, at a barbeque, riding a horse or a Harley, relaxing at home in the fall, so forth. With a blazer you could even walk around the streets of Europe, and not get noticed that much--despite what people seem to feel so often on this forum. With all the different options on cut and type, practically anyone, any age looks fine. That seems a bit of a generalization to exclude a huge chunk of the population from a world-wide look. That said, they are heavy and often don't look neat, but that's not an age thing.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Chr

Probably anything but NO white socks please. Personally I'd have Americans who defile out fair continent with white socks deported.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Chris

And I would like to deport the Europeans who wear dark socks with sneakers and sandals, and dress shoes with shorts here in America. <BR> <BR>Your husband should wear what he feels comfortable wearing. I used to live in Europe, and most people there wear sneakers from time to time.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 12:55 PM
donna

Thank you so far for your advice. Of course, I want my husband to be comfortable, but he admits he has no taste in clothing and generally prefers me to shop for him. (If I let him wear what he is comfortable in, he would wear old holey white under-shirts and workout shorts!) I personally hate the white sock thing, so I am glad he realized the last time we went to Europe how silly it looked on grown-up men. <BR>I would still appreciate other opinions. thanks.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 01:18 PM
kk

Donna, just have him wear black stuff and he will be fine. Or another very dark color. Whether it's shirts, pants, socks or shoes we are talking about.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 01:54 PM
John

Hi, Donna, <BR>Amsterdam and Antwerp are business centers as well as visitor destinations. I have never felt under-dressed in either if I used the same wardrobe with which I would be comfortable in comparable American cities. The cliche ugly American wardrobe is fading and was very much a pre-boomer generational thing. People near 50 in northern Europe don't tend to wear denim very much in my experience (Britain the exception), but "Friday casual" - Homo Dockerus, for instance, will almost always fit in and still be comfortable. A light blazer is a very versatile thing - looks good with khakis or dress slacks. Or get him an Ajax or Eindhoven FC sweatshirt and he'll quickly meet people who love him or otherwise. <BR> <BR>I wish some entrepreneur would come up with a line of jackets emprinted with jibberish in Dutch the way the French have with English slogans, "Official Motorcycle Flavor" or some such.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 12:33 PM
donna

KK- I wear black myself all the time- do you think it will be too warm in July? <BR>John- thanks for your advice- I was just about to get us t-shirts made up that say"We are Americans on Vacation!" I am not so concerned about A'dam as we have been there before. I was more concerned about the small towns I picked out- Heerlen(in Maastricht) here I think we may be the only Americans at the Hotel Brughof and then Middleburg and Delft. Although Franco says they will not scandalize us for our tattoos, we did find last time in the Northern small towns we did get some long looks and then I noticed back in A'dam that tattoos seem to be on the young and on the sanitation workers. That's when we realized that there seemed to be a bit of a "classist" attitude towards us and that it may have been because of the tattoos.Perhaps I imagined it- and I do not mean to generalize.Here in Bosotn, people were wearing horrible t-shirts with slogans and grungy shorts at Legal the other night- and Legal Seafoods is a top notch resto-it just seems as American restaurants and shops do not immediately judge your "seriousness" by what you wear- we are very very casual around here. And much to Sjeord chagrin, most of us over 40's types do wear jeans (denims) most of the time, but we will take his advice and not wear jeans at night. <BR>Thnaks again - and keep the advice coming! donna

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 01:51 PM
kk

No, Donna. I don't think it will be too hot to wear black, as long as it is light weight cloth. I live in Texas and wear black in the depths of summer, which is almost upon us,ugh.