snoring on the plane

Search

snoring on the plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snoring on the plane

Since my wife tells me that I have become a regular snorer, I am wondering how this is handled on long flights.

I would hate to know that I fell off to sleep and did my lawnmower impression for an hour while in flight.

Do the flight attendants wake you up if you are disturbing the peace???
EK
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:44 AM

No. If you are with your wife, I am sure she will oblige! Mine would!

I have a very attractive female friend who flies constantly on business. She is terrified that she will fall asleep with her head back and mouth wide open, like a cartoon character! If it has happened thus far, no one has told her, but it is always in the back of her mind!
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:08 AM

My DH is also a loud snorer but I don't seem to recall that he has ever snored on a flight. If he were to do so I would nudge him awake to stop the snoring. I think maybe the discomfort of the flight keeps him from getting into a deep enough sleep to get to the snoring stage, which is good news for everyone within hearing distance.
I don't know what I would do if I was sitting next to a stranger that started snoring loudly. I would hate to embarrass them by waking them up to tell them they are snoring. I would probably "accidentally" bump their seat or wake them and ask to get up if they were on the outside seat. I have just never encountered this problem before. What would you do if a person sitting next to you that you didn't know was snoring loudly? Just curious.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

well, let's say that I am traveling alone. I would hope someone would waken me!!!

That being said, I don't know how comfortable that I would feel in awakening another traveler.

I would hope that the flight attendants would be attuned to it and do the dirty work for us.....being that they are a bit of an "authority figure" while we are in the air.
What do you think??
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Good luck to you if you can fall asleep in the first place!!!
You should invest in a pack of snoring strips from a chemist. It's just like a plaster over the bridge of your nose.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:51 AM

My parents and I are all pretty loud snorers, but I have never heard them snore on the plane when they're sleeping. [And I have not heard any comments about my own snoring.]

I don't think I've heard anybody snore on the plane either.

Perhaps something about the pressure.

[Do people snore in high altitude places - over 7000ft? ]
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM

ekellyga:

If you’re on my flight and nearby, I’ll wake you up.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I dread that I have done this but have no evidence. I'm thinking of trying Breathe-Rites or that throat spray before my next long flights.

My worse experiences -- which has happened twice -- is a sleeping guy splashing me with a drink. Both times in first class. There's nothing like making a connection in a Bible Belt airport on a Sunday morning smelling like Scotch ...

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No worries for me. I have never ever not once fallen asleep on a flight.

So if I heard you snorking -ekellyga- I would only be jealous that someone else was actually getting some sleep!!!
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM

I sat once in front of a very, very, very loud snorer on an overseas flight Philly-London. People on 3 rows back-front and side were making loud remarks on how incredibly loud this guy's snoring was. My sister got up and asked a flight attendant to please wake up this man (I have never heard anything like it...). The attendant said she was only allowed to wake up a passenger in very limited scenarios. She advised that we talked to the seatmate and have the seatmate nudged the man. The man ended up waking up on his own.

My rule of thumb on this type social situations is The Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Will Have Them Do Unto You. If I am imposing on my flight seatmate's comfort, I will definitelky will like to be made aware.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM

If you are worried about it, maybe you could inform the flight attendant for your area to keep an eye, err an ear out for you.

I snore too but have found that the noise of the airplane sometimes helps drown me out.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM

My husband snores louder than an Amtrak train and I've never heard him snore on a plane. But if he did, I would wake him.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

after hearing from folks who snore, but don't snore on a plane.....I wonder if the sitting position has something to do with sleeping without LOUD snoring
(My mother would fall asleep sitting up, and do that little "puff-snore" thing that drove us NUTS). But at least it wouldn't be like a chainsaw inside the plane
EK
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I hate to admit it, but I'm the snorer in the family. I really don't fall asleep during a flight, but once I did and my husband nudged me because I started to snore. There was a thread here recently with all sorts of ideas to prevent snoring. I will have to check it out again.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM

I am one of those poor persons who does not readily sleep on a plane. My husband can fall asleep within ten minutes. He is a snorer. No one does anything if you snore. I sometimes hit him, but he just goes back to sleep and snores again. I put on my Bose headphones and ignore it. One of the longest trips I had to San Fran was in the middle seat (coach) with my husband on one side and another guy on the other side. Both fell asleep and snored loudly. I tried to read but it was nerve wracking. When they woke up, I told them they both owed me two drinks for my agony. They laughed and called the flight attendant over. Don't worry about it. The only people you will bother are like me, who only wish they could sleep on a plane.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Sorry, you may bother other people, like the poor souls sitting around you. On our recent - very long - trip back from Cape Town, the guy behind me was the loudest I've ever heard. Unfortunately he slept very well - and snored very well. The rest of us weren't so lucky.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Drool! Drool is the fear that keeps me from sleeping on planes. Although, I wish I could fall asleep and then wake and magically have arrived, voila! Perhaps in my next lifetime.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM

One thing that will significantly reduce snoring is to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, and limit (or avoid) alcohol.

I speak as an experienced snorer.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM

if United would run an extension cord to my seat so I could use my CPAP, I won't snore.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Danna, that makes me laugh. My former boss did this...drooled on a guy she was seated next to, head drooped over, etc. What a story!

I married a demon snorer and the only way to survive is heavy-duty earplugs. I also use Ambien during the flight. So, you should certainly bring enough earplugs for those sitting around you...and you might consider some extra Ambien for everyone within earshot, too! ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -