SNCF booking on-line - Urgent help

Jul 30th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

SNCF booking on-line - Urgent help

Hi there, I am from Australia and am trying to book an overnight ticket in September from Paris to Milan. I keep getting to the 3 step page after selecting the prem tickets, but it will not let me go past step 3 as I have not indicated a mailing address. This is because we want to collect our tickets from the station, but it doesn't seem to give me this option! This is driving me insane, can someone please help.

Thankyou

Lesa
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:59 PM

This thread mentions a limit of 60 days being the maximum advance you can order online: (paste all of it in)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp
fid=2&tid=1357879&numresponses=35&start=
0&keyword=129&searchText=sncf+ticket

This post reminds you to choose "France" as if you live there, if you want to pick up your tickets (as opposed to them being mailed):
Author: Spawned <threadselect.jsp?screen_name=Spawned&fid=2>
Date: 02/10/2003, 05:01 pm
Message: I believe you can purchase tickets no matter where you live, but can only have them mailed to you if you live in Europe. No problem, just leave it saying France on the first page, then on the last page when giving payment info, say you will pick them up in France at a train station. I believe you can just pick them up at any station you are at.

Hope these tidbits help!
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Still stuck, have chosen France, but no option on the last page to pick up, only allows delivery to address in France?? Any clues?
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

okay have really stuffed up now, I put collect in the mailing address on the last page and now the system is going to try to deliver them to this address. I have tried to ring 0011 33 8 92 35 35 39 but they said they could not help me. Anyone got any suggestions so this money does not go down the drain!
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:58 AM
ira

Hi Lesa,

Are you still having trouble?

Jul 31st, 2003, 06:34 AM

Lesa, this exact thing just happened to me!!!!! But don't panic (I know I did). I e-mailed their customer service, and while waiting for a reply, called them on the phone. By phone, I was told I had two options: either go to Customer Service at Gare de L'Est and pick up the tickets there, or go to Customer Service at Gare de Lyon (where we're departing) and re-purchase the same tickets, then wait about a week for a refund! Then about a day later, I received an answer to my e-mail, and was told they would try to deliver my tickets in France (!), and that if I didn't receive them, I would have to re-purchase. We decided we'd go to Gare de L'Est on our first day in Paris and pick up the tickets, but were still quite worried.
Well, would you believe about a week ago, we got the tickets in the mail!!! Even though our address gave only the city name and zipcode, some kind soul recognized it as a U.S. address and wrote "U.S.A." at the bottom.
So, with all the options, I think you'll be OK. I had planned to take my MasterCard statement with me to prove they had been paid, plus I had the confirmation letter and number. Try e-mailing their customer service and see what they tell you. Hopefully, you'll end up getting yours in the mail (it took over 2 weeks from the postmarked date).
I just don't understand how some people on this board have been able to order tickets and print them out - I was unable to get to that option. I found the site extremely unwieldy to use. And when I talked to an agent on the phone, she acknowledged there were problems with the site. So, beware out there! Let us know how your saga ends.
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:36 AM

I had something similar happen to me just last week. I wanted to book TGV tickets for Paris to Tours and went through the whole online thing, putting in my address (they need it for the credit card) but leaving "France" so I could pick them up when I got there.

Well, the credit card was rejected so I figured that was the end of that. But no, in about 15 minutes, I got an e-mail that said that I had my reservations but had to pick up my ticket in France within 2 weeks. We're not going until Septermber!

So I called the number that LVSue had posted recently and it was VERY easy to straighten out. I now have tickets paid for and waiting to be picked up in September (although my fingers are still crossed).

By the way, my credit card company had looked at the ticket purchase as a purchase IN France, and since I just used my card yesterday at home, they froze it.
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:51 AM

Lesa,
You can print PREM tickets yourself in your computer. I did the same thing when I bought my tickets from Avignon to Paris for only 25 dollars each.
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:12 AM

I need to buy tickets - Paris - Lyon, Lyon - Avignon, Avignon - Nice. I was going to try this on Aug. 2nd (60 days from when I depart from Paris). Now, I'm getting a little stressed about how to do it. I thought I could print out the tickets from my computer. I know StCirg gave some pretty good instructions on how to do this, but for life of me I can't find my printed out copy of this. HELP.
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:15 AM

I just don't understand why people feel they must enter their street address when booking on the SNCF site!

All you need to do is choose ticket pickup in FRANCE on the first screen, then at checkout choose the option "To withdraw your ticket in Automatic ticket machines (ATMs) or in SNCF stations".

You do NOT need to complete the optional street address fields, only those which have an asterisk (i.e. name and e-mail address)!

The next screen asks you for credit card details (nr and expiration date only). YOU MUST PREPAY or the reservation is only held for a week.

THAT'S IT!

You can then pick the tix up at any SNCF station or Boutique SNCF in France - you need to show them the card you used to pay online.

As mentioned, the ONLY exception is for PREM'S discount tickets which you print out yourself at home.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:33 AM

Barb -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34421927

I think this is the thread you're seeking. If not, type "sncf AND prem" into the text box to pull up a bunch of others that should be helpful.
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:34 AM

Lesa, I purchased tickets on line and printed them at home, but I ended up using the French language SNCF site rather than English (thanks to StCirq for her advice).

It seems that SNCF has made changes in the English language site and quite a few people are a)confused b)having problems. Our home-printed tickets worked just fine and I would probably try to do that again in the future.

Good luck!
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:37 AM

I was going to say what Andre did, I have used my CC on the SNCF site to buy tickets for pickup and never had to tell them my street address. They don't need it and you don't have to input it if you are buying by CC. Maybe some people don't notice the fields that are required and those that aren't.
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:09 AM

Thanks Lesli. It sounds like using the French site is the way to go. Is it fairly easy for someone who does not speak much French?
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:02 AM

Andre,
Like Lesa, there was NO option available to print out tickets, and when I tried to just avoid putting in my address and go to the next stage for pickup, the site wouldn't let me proceed WITHOUT putting in my address. The line to have your tickets mailed to your home address was pre-checked, and I couldn't "uncheck" it. When I mentioned this to the SNCF agent, she acknowledged that there is sometimes a problem with this, evidently the site is not properly working consistently. The French language site did look simpler, but after going into it a little bit, I was certain my limited French might be my undoing! Sure hope Lesa checks back to this site for all the responses.
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM

Forgot to mention that mine are PREM tickets, so that may have complicated the process.
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:14 PM

I picked up the phone and called SNCF to get my tickets for Rennes for August 16. I got an operator who spoke english, and I received my tickets in the mail to my home address in NY one week later. Much easier than hassling with the web site!
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Below is the response I got from the web site people, I tried to call on the telephone and they said since it was a discount ticket they could not help me. I did choose France on the first screen and yes I could not change the option to not get home delivery either on the last page, it would "not" let me continue without an address, there were asterix on the address lines. So at this stage am still no closer to an answer.

The message I received is below:

"Dear sir

I verified your file QBFNFQ, you have not received your tickets. Your tickets are returned to our sending center. I advise you sending a request for a refund to this following department :

S.N.C.F
Service Envoi a Domicile
BP 74
75462 Paris cedex 10.

In your mailing don t forget to mention the file number as well as your credit card number. While waiting, I invite you to purchase a ticket at the departure station.

I hope this information will be of assistance.

Your faithfully.

--
Florence REMY
L'Equipe d'Aide en Ligne
Support Voyages-SNCF.com

Jul 31st, 2003, 06:21 PM

Lesa, I also received that very same message, and yet I still ended up receiving the tickets in the mail, so hang in there. If you don't receive them, just go to customer service at the train station when you get there and show them your reference file number. I'm sure you will be able to work it out. I just know I'll never try to use that site again. Wish I'd known you could just call!
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Hagan,

I don't think they will send me the tickets as I put "collect" in the address, so they don't have my address details. Can you tell me when you booked over the phone whether you could still get the discounted PREM tickets?

Search this Thread