Snakes?

Jan 7th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Anna

Snakes?

Has anyone encountered any snakes in Tuscany? I woke up from a bad dream - we were on our honeymoon, having a lovely picnic in the Tuscan countryside when along came a big ugly snake!! How do you avoid them and what if one bites you???

Jan 7th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Patrick

Hello, Dr. Freud, are you out there??? We need your help.

Jan 7th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Dr.Freud

Patrick

Sometimes a snake is just a snake!

(And a cigar is just a banana) : )

Jan 7th, 2002, 07:14 AM
BillClinton

Dr. Freud: A cigar can be sooo many other things.

Jan 7th, 2002, 07:35 AM
George W. Bush

And so can a snake.

Jan 7th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Anna

OK. I get the message. Stupid question right?

Jan 7th, 2002, 08:07 AM
MaryC

No, Anna, not a stupid question. We're just feeling goofy this morning - it being Monday and all. =0)

Maybe your bad dream is just a reflection of your anxieties on an upcoming trip? Or even something else that is going on in your life at present?

Jan 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
RJD

There are pit vipers, the Italian version of the rattlesnake, in Tuscany. You're not likely to run across one unless you live there. See Bella Tuscany for an example of where they may be found.

Jan 7th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Luzien Freud

An offbeat question. However as someone who's been watching way too much on the Animal Planet channel (started after 9/11, when the reality of humans on TV too overwhelming), I've yet to see a show on reptiles in Tuscany. You'll probably find garter snakes & other benign species. As far as I know, the anacondas or cobras or pythons live on different continent. Of course, you can always find the two-legged upright snakes all over the world --- closely followed by the one-eyed trouser snake. Maybe you want one of those to bite you ????

Jan 7th, 2002, 09:44 AM
MaryC

RJD, Are you talking about the book "Bella Tuscany" by Frances Mayes?

Jan 7th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Wow

I'm surprised I didn't have such a dream myself after viewing Public Television's "Urban Elephant" program last night. Zoo people were clearly milking the semen out of a bull elephant's anaconda-sized organ (for artificial insemination) and showed the plastic bag holding about a cupful. The elephant was co-operating quietly but had a wild look in his eye.

Jan 9th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Mat

You didn't get much in the way of serious response, but you were laying yourself open, really, weren't you? I live in Tuscany and have seen countless snakes during the summer, usually snaking over a country road. In almost ten years I have seen but a handful of vipers, and most of those have been baby ones around the house - I live in a pretty isolated spot. Mother must be around somewhere, but viper bites are pretty rare - make a lot of noise and you'll never see them.
Vipers are easily distinguishable by their zigzag diamond markings and a distinctly arrow-shaped head - the bulk of snakes you'll see, especially if they're large, will be grass snakes, completely harmless and known generically/coloquially (sp?) as Biscio/Bicio - they can be brown, green, yellow even, and will not have a distinct head.
Avoid them by not walking very slowly and quietly and not lifting up stones, if you get bitten then off to Pronto Soccorso, but truly, forget about them and get on with your holiday. Mosquitoes will be more of a problem, I guarantee it.
Mat

Jan 9th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Terrified

As long as we're on animal phobias, I've been terrified of turtles all my life. Fear is not rational, you understand. Encountered a few in Venice and in Greece. Can you help me avoid these creatures by telling me where you've seen them, please! Just England, France and Italy will do. Thanks.

Jan 9th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Skylar

I love turtles. Fears are not really rational, but generally understandable. My old boyfriend was afraid of fruit. I dumped him and would laugh laugh laugh if he ever posted a question on this website "Um...excuse me, but I'm afraid of fruit. Does anybody know where I can go to avoid seeing fruit?" Ack!

Jan 9th, 2002, 01:35 PM
L

A snake is just a snake - a cigar is a smoke. Ciao, L

Jan 9th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Capo

See Q & A at:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/travel/AA/aa991208.html

I love the comment about "standard reptile protocol."